Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Setups (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tire selection for a Mini-96 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32668)

TannerT 2009.09.15 09:42 PM

Tire selection for a Mini-96

I will soon be getting a Mini-96, and would like your opinion on tires for a Mini tile track. I know that tires are a personal preferance but, a good base starting point is what I need. I will be driving a Lexus SC430 MR02. I'm getting confused with all of the different combanations. I was thinking of getting Kyosho 20deg radial tires for the rear and PN racing 15deg slicks for the front. That way I would have 2 sets of rear tires and the slicks should last for a while. But there is so many different tires. I already searched the forums but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I need some advice from someone who has already been there, done that. I've bought upgrades that I wasn't sure about and it didn't turn out very good.... and that's never fun. Anyway, All coments/suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks

Cherub1m 2009.09.15 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost. (Post 360419)
I will soon be getting a Mini-96, and would like your opinion on tires for a Mini tile track. I know that tires are a personal preferance but, a good base starting point is what I need. I will be driving a Lexus SC430 MR02. I'm getting confused with all of the different combanations. I was thinking of getting Kyosho 20deg radial tires for the rear and PN racing 15deg slicks for the front. That way I would have 2 sets of rear tires and the slicks should last for a while. But there is so many different tires. I already searched the forums but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I need some advice from someone who has already been there, done that. I've bought upgrades that I wasn't sure about and it didn't turn out very good.... and that's never fun. Anyway, All coments/suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks

First let me say welcome to the world of Mini-96 its a great track to have for around the house.

Your choice of Kyosho 20deg radial rear and PN 15 fronts is a good choice. If you want to use PN fronts for the Mini-96 I would use PN 10's. Currently I use Kyosho 20 deg radial in the rear and Kyosho 30 deg slicks in the front that combo works great on a small track like the Mini-96 and works great on a larger track also.

color01 2009.09.16 04:44 AM

To be honest, unless your Mini-96 is the size of a larger RCP track, tire selection is much less crucial than staying off the walls. To top that off, the ability to "pivot" around an apex is much more important than maintaining corner speed. You can use Kyosho 20's all around and be fine. I'd argue that Kyosho 30's in front might actually be too hard actually, they're much more suited for high-speed cornering. PN 10 slicks in front could be a good idea, only if all the corners are tight hairpins though.

Once again I stress that the 95% importance item in Mini-96 driving, is your driving itself. The only thing you really need in the car is forward traction and a working steering system. ;)

TannerT 2009.09.16 09:42 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to order some Kyosho 20deg radials and some PN 10deg slicks.

MantisMMA 2009.09.16 06:14 PM

FYI guys, the new PN 20 fts are the same as the old PN 10's , the new PN 10's are way too sticky for the fronts.Jacob , CT and i use the new PN20's on the front. the new 10's are gonna give you WAAAY too much steering!

Tjay 2009.09.16 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MantisMMA (Post 360537)
FYI guys, the new PN 20 fts are the same as the old PN 10's , the new PN 10's are way too sticky for the fronts.Jacob , CT and i use the new PN20's on the front. the new 10's are gonna give you WAAAY too much steering!

Yes... This is what we use here.

For some reason, the PN20's understeer in the first few laps but after that, it'll pick up the traction (more than kyosho30 slicks) and it'll stay that way until it's all the way down.

I would suggest for you to run kyosho 30's front with kyosho20 slicks rear. If you want to use PN20's, you'll want to use rear radials.

TannerT 2009.09.17 12:18 PM

Hmm, the PN10's will probably be pretty twitchy, on a Lexus SC430... we will see how it goes when my order arrives. I've never driven on rcp before, so we'll see what happens. Once I get used to the track I will mess around with different tires. Thanks again for the replies.