Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RCP Support Forum (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   RCP Track Editor (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19708)

HaCo 2005.10.31 04:41 AM

RCP Track Editor

1 Attachment(s)
Hi ppl,

I was a bit annoyed by the Track Builder of RCP, so I decided to make a litle tool by myself. I have tried to keep it simple, and it is limited to a track of 50 tiles width and 50 tiles length.

WeBoC, also from this forum, has tested the software for me, and we are now at a moment that I think I can make it public. (Thank you WeBoC for Testing :D)

What can you do with it:
- Create tracks (duh!)
- Save/Load tracks
- Export tracks to PNG, an image file format, and place it here on the forum (Do it!)
- The software counts the amaount of tiles that you used on your layout
- Tip: use dbl-click to erase a tile from the track

Please try the software, give you're comments on it.

Have fun,
HaCo

briankstan 2005.10.31 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaCo
Hi ppl,

I was a bit annoyed by the Track Builder of RCP, so I decided to make a litle tool by myself. I have tried to keep it simple, and it is limited to a track of 50 tiles width and 50 tiles length.

WeBoC, also from this forum, has tested the software for me, and we are now at a moment that I think I can make it public. (Thank you WeBoC for Testing :D)

What can you do with it:
- Create tracks (duh!)
- Save/Load tracks
- Export tracks to PNG, an image file format, and place it here on the forum (Do it!)
- The software counts the amaount of tiles that you used on your layout
- Tip: use dbl-click to erase a tile from the track

Please try the software, give you're comments on it.

Have fun,
HaCo

Your program is great, I only have 1 suggestion. Is it possible to make it export as a .jpg file?

Great design and layout

Brian

Twenty-Se7en 2005.10.31 11:07 AM

Just hit yoru print screen button and open up paint and paste. Then save as desired format.

briankstan 2005.10.31 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty-Se7en
Just hit yoru print screen button and open up paint and paste. Then save as desired format.

that is how I will be doing it. I just thought I might suggest it, if he can intagrate it, it would be alot faster.

HaCo 2005.10.31 01:10 PM

Please don't do the copy/paste trick. The software was made to avoid such way of working and to make things easy.

Please tell me why you desire jpeg? Jpeg isn't suited for these type of synthetic images, it is much better suited for photo's. A file format that is build for synthetic images is png and gif, that's the reason why I choosed for PNG.

If you can argument why you want Jpeg integrated I could add it to the software, but it is against good design principals, because it isn't suited for the application, maybe I overlooked something... :cool:

HaCo 2005.10.31 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
To show you what I mean I have saved the same track image as PNG and as JPG, the goal was to reach the same filesize, +/-25kB.

You can see the result in the attachement.

Twenty-Se7en 2005.10.31 02:24 PM

I agree that a file with as few colors as this should be a gif or png. I personally don't like png files but that is preference over the years. I think you should implement the feature right away.

Also, I think that you should give the option to remove the details about the track and have just the track displayed.

briankstan 2005.10.31 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaCo
Please don't do the copy/paste trick. The software was made to avoid such way of working and to make things easy.

Please tell me why you desire jpeg? Jpeg isn't suited for these type of synthetic images, it is much better suited for photo's. A file format that is build for synthetic images is png and gif, that's the reason why I choosed for PNG.

If you can argument why you want Jpeg integrated I could add it to the software, but it is against good design principals, because it isn't suited for the application, maybe I overlooked something... :cool:

Sorry, I wan't sure that my Yahoo site builder could use .png files. I checked it out and found that id does. The reason why is because I like to post track layouts on my website similar to this.

http://www.saltlakexmod.com/images/5-1.jpg

My drawings were created in Autocad and then exported to .jpp, it's either that or a .pdf and I don't like having to open the acrobat reader to view things.

I think your program is great and I will be using it quite a bit, And I like the fact that is tells you how may of each tile, I had my autocad set up to count them too.

great work, and thanks for your concideration, but I don't really think it's nessasary to export to .jpg now.

Brian

Twenty-Se7en 2005.10.31 08:14 PM

I would like to see a feature where you are limited to 1 wide L or 2 or 3 and so on... so that you need to know how many you have to set up... I hate having to wonder if I have to take 3 Ls or not to a group meet... it's a pain

HaCo 2005.11.01 02:40 AM

Hi,

I was already thinking of adding the feature that you can choose the extra info or not on you exported file, so it will come.

Having a feature that it calculate's what type of tracks you need to build the track sounds harder, but I will think of it.

Right now I'm on holliday, so new things will be for next week.

Twenty-Se7en 2005.11.01 05:10 AM

cool. Look forward to the updates.

Ronin 2005.12.31 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty-Se7en
cool. Look forward to the updates.

I agree with the parts that come in the track sets listing. It shouldn't be too difficult. But what do I know....

I'm looking into getting a mini-96, so that'd be an awesome feature!

Awesome program by the way. :D

herman 2006.01.02 01:23 AM

briankstan... how many rcp tracks did you use to make track #1?

20' x 30' looks like enough space... but heck i haven't seen, much less experienced an rcp track so... i was just wondering... oh yeah and what kind of gearing (pinion / spur gear combo are we looking at to run on that track?) sorry for the questions and thanks for any replies...

briankstan 2006.01.02 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herman
briankstan... how many rcp tracks did you use to make track #1?

20' x 30' looks like enough space... but heck i haven't seen, much less experienced an rcp track so... i was just wondering... oh yeah and what kind of gearing (pinion / spur gear combo are we looking at to run on that track?) sorry for the questions and thanks for any replies...

That track will require a little less then 5 of the wide "L" kits. typically I like to run a 8 tooth pinion with the stock spur gear. a 9 tooth would be a great option too.

check out my website for lots of track pics and track layouts. direct link is in my sig.

if you haven't experienced the RCP track you are really missing out. I know you are in the phillipinies and shipping would be a bit much but it is one of the best things you can get for you mini-z.

Brian

briankstan 2006.01.02 08:22 AM

HaCo,

Will you be adding the wide inside corners and the 45° track sections to your track editor?