Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lap Timing Systems and Software (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Any other lap counters avalable?? (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17560)

solartech 2005.03.15 08:06 AM

Any other lap counters avalable??

Are there any other lap counting systems out there? I have not seen any systems work very well other than the Amb transponder type. I am not going to name names and bash products but there has to be some thing else out there. I recently heard about a system from Team_Orien. Supposedly it is a transponder with a optical output and Infared reciver. I could be wrong about the specs. But I would like to learn more about it. I am curious if this would work with mini-zs.

arch2b 2005.03.15 09:07 AM

amb-it
lapz
ko propo
corespeeday
home made laser/flag system

those are all i can think of

ruf 2005.03.15 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solartech
I recently heard about a system from Team_Orien. Supposedly it is a transponder with a optical output and Infared reciver. I could be wrong about the specs. But I would like to learn more about it. I am curious if this would work with mini-zs.

I believe someone was talking about using this on Mini-Z. I've used them on 1/10 and they work well.

wcrotty 2005.03.15 09:38 AM

The team orian is a personal lap timing system. Only one car at a time.
I have one and used mine on my mini z when i was training for the nats in my basement. I removed the transponder from the aluminum case and taped it to the outside of the body with the IR led pointed to the outside wall.

Then you just set the pickup unit on the wall of the track. You have your self a counter.

amb-it $3000 - 4000
lapz $800
ko propo $2000
corespeeday $400
home made laser/flag system $400 (but a pain in the ass)
Hong kong IR counter (Bad software)
Paper and pencil ( very tough to use) :)

So far i have used every system but the lapz setup. Every system has problems. Amb-it does miss laps once in a while even in 12th scale. But for the money it should miss non. Kopropo uses the frequency of the car so for mini z you can't use any aftermarket 75 mhz radios. Home made counters are cool but the do miss laps or count more laps. Pain in the ass to align the lasers and if someone bumps the laser bridge it messes everything up.

We are currently using the core system (i know you guys are also) and last saturday we had 40 cars racing. All day we only had two lap miss counts and that was my fault. I set the min lap time to 4 seconds and the same guy was making it to the counter in under that min lap time on the first lap. Took me all day to figure this one out. hehe

El Tigre 2005.03.15 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcrotty
The team orian is a personal lap timing system. Only one car at a time.
I have one and used mine on my mini z when i was training for the nats in my basement. I removed the transponder from the aluminum case and taped it to the outside of the body with the IR led pointed to the outside wall.

Then you just set the pickup unit on the wall of the track. You have your self a counter.

amb-it $3000 - 4000
lapz $800
ko propo $2000
corespeeday $400
home made laser/flag system $400 (but a pain in the ass)
Hong kong IR counter (Bad software)
Paper and pencil ( very tough to use) :)

So far i have used every system but the lapz setup. Every system has problems. Amb-it does miss laps once in a while even in 12th scale. But for the money it should miss non. Kopropo uses the frequency of the car so for mini z you can't use any aftermarket 75 mhz radios. Home made counters are cool but the do miss laps or count more laps. Pain in the ass to align the lasers and if someone bumps the laser bridge it messes everything up.

We are currently using the core system (i know you guys are also) and last saturday we had 40 cars racing. All day we only had two lap miss counts and that was my fault. I set the min lap time to 4 seconds and the same guy was making it to the counter in under that min lap time on the first lap. Took me all day to figure this one out. hehe

And you cant beat the $2 transponders.

ruf 2005.03.15 09:50 AM

So does that mean that the KO system will count 27MHz FM? I don't see why it wouldn't, but that simplifies things for me. :P I love 27MHz vs. 75MHz. It's such a cleaner band.

wcrotty 2005.03.15 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Tigre
And you cant beat the $2 transponders.

$5 El Tigre.

We got some of the pro-z lexan bodys in the shop. You coming down thursday?

Ryan Gardner 2005.03.15 10:03 AM

Lap timers

If someone wants to buy a laser flag system off of me, you can make me an offer... It's this style: http://www.minizlapcounter.com for 6 cars...
It is not bad - but I am a big fan of internal antennas... always have been - always will be. Nothing throws the scale look off for me more than a gigantic antena that would be 9 feet long in scale length...

wcrotty 2005.03.15 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruf
So does that mean that the KO system will count 27MHz FM? I don't see why it wouldn't, but that simplifies things for me. :P I love 27MHz vs. 75MHz. It's such a cleaner band.

I don't know if it counts 27 FM. I like 27Mhz also but i have been to too many big 10th scale races and see an entire main with 27 band people........the guys who qualified 7-10 had to find 75Mhz radios to borrow.

ruf 2005.03.15 10:42 AM

40 and 29 for big races, but you risk being tagged by FCC. I always have a 75 module anyways.

As for 27FM, I can't see why it wouldn't count. I'll try it this weekend and report back.

mini-z racing 2005.03.15 01:25 PM

I heard the transponders are going to be $10 now,

El Tigre 2005.03.15 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcrotty
$5 El Tigre.

We got some of the pro-z lexan bodys in the shop. You coming down thursday?

I will try to, I went racing 1/10th sedans last Friday and got served. I am getting an HPI Pro4 tomorrow and may be working to get that going, also I may have to work my second job. If Scott is gonna show(as if there really is a way to be sure), I will be there to strongarm some stuff from him. If he does show up, bar the door and I will drop what I am doing.

pianoman 2005.03.15 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Gardner
If someone wants to buy a laser flag system off of me, you can make me an offer... It's this style: http://www.minizlapcounter.com for 6 cars...
It is not bad - but I am a big fan of internal antennas... always have been - always will be. Nothing throws the scale look off for me more than a gigantic antena that would be 9 feet long in scale length...

I'm in the market...I bought all of the parts to make one, but no dang time. Howmuchyouwantforit?

Cheers,

Pianoman

deuceswild2000@hotmail.com

Ryan Gardner 2005.03.20 12:31 AM

I sent you an email about it

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianoman
I'm in the market...I bought all of the parts to make one, but no dang time. Howmuchyouwantforit?

Cheers,

Pianoman

deuceswild2000@hotmail.com

I sent you an email about it... don't know if it got through your spam filter or not... Let me know what you think of that offer...

Ryan

I-Lap 2005.03.23 05:34 PM

Check out http://www.rclapcounter.com for another option.

Craig