Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginner Questions (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Roll shocks (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4)

zath 2001.11.03 01:52 PM

Roll shocks

Any one have any info on the roll shocks, im wondering if there a worthy thing to get.

mini-z 2001.11.03 02:37 PM

Zath, the roll shock is great, I recommend it. The problem with the stock Mini-Z or Mini-Z with just the rear shock is that the H-bar lets the motor pod really twist away from the chassis, and it used to be that the only way to prevent this was to use a stiffer H-bar which made everything way too rigid. The roll shock limits the amount of twist, and the springs ensure that everything levels out again quickly when the pod breaks loose.

zath 2001.11.03 02:46 PM

roll shocks

thanks. is there any advantige to the oilfilled version or is the spring version just as good.(ignoring cost)

mini-z 2001.11.03 02:55 PM

Actually the oil-filled version is kind of a mystery - although GPM describes it as such, in truth it is not oil-filled, it's only adjustable, for an "oil-filled" feel. This is what I was told by my distributor, but if anyone has these and they really are oil-filled, please let us know. I know GPM's site calls them "oil-filled", but the print brochures only say "adjustable".

zath 2001.11.03 02:57 PM

roll

so the insane price there asking for them is not worth it

mini-z 2001.11.03 03:04 PM

I have to defer to someone who's tried them to answer that...

zath 2001.11.03 03:14 PM

roll

ok, what outher alternitives are there besides those 2??

mini-z 2001.11.03 03:43 PM

GPM, Kyosho, RCRM and Eagle all make Roll Shocks; for the most part they are identical, just different colored.

gertman 2001.11.04 11:16 PM

"oil shocks" are a mystery no more

I would first like to state that I, myself do not have the GPM oil filled shocks for two reasons: shear bulk (they are alot of metal a.k.a weight!!! AND there would be no room for my Twin Turbo spedo) and two high cost.

But, I would like to correct some previous information. It is true, these shocks come with no oil in them........YOU have to put your own oil in them.

zath 2001.11.07 03:36 PM

carful

it seams in puting on my roll shocks i did somthing wrong and one side is much stifer than the outer, no mater how i mich mach the springs? any imput?

gertman 2001.11.07 03:50 PM

I need a little bit more info before I can help. What kind of roll shocks did you put on? What are you using as an H-plate? Are the shocks in the same holes on each side?

zath 2001.11.07 04:00 PM

shocks

same holes, hard h-plate, koysho rool shocks, i tried a farioty of spring combos but still the same

wrcracer 2001.11.07 09:07 PM

roll shocks

wow. i wasn't aware there were so many upgrades for mini-z's. so.. what exactly is a roll shock?

mini-z 2001.11.07 10:17 PM

WRCRacer, the roll shock set is 2 vertically mounted shocks that control the amount of "roll" e.g. the tendancy for the rear motor pod to become scew from the main chassis under certain conditions.

gertman 2001.11.07 10:47 PM

Zath,

Remove the body of your car and place it on a flat surface. Move the right front wheel, then the left with your hand and see if you can tell which one has less weight on it. If you can not determine, take a piece of paper and try and slide it under each front wheel. From the front wheel with the least amount of weight, go to the rear wheel that is diagonal from it. Places some spacers on the top and bottom the roll shock for this wheel. Only add one at a time and then check the front wheels again. This may take some time, but in the end you should have a neutral handling car!