Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mini-Z Buggy MB-010 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   MB-010VE 2.0 ESC issue? (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41247)

jimbo_wa 2018.06.11 08:38 AM

MB-010VE 2.0 ESC issue?

Hi, I've recently built up a bunch of parts into a working buggy, but am having major issues with the ESC/motors.

I have both the original 8500kv red motor and the ECO 5600kv blue motor. The blue motor will not even spin the wheels and the 8500kv motor cogs exceptionally badly:

https://youtu.be/ylDHgIA215o

Thinking that a FET has blown as both motors are struggling?

When not in contact with the ground the wheels spin fine and free - there's no binding in the transmission and I've swapped the clutch from 3 arm to 4 arm with no difference...

Nothing seems to be overheating and using the Scorpion programming cable (connects fine) settings all stay saved etc.

mleemor60 2018.06.18 09:30 AM

Sounds like a low voltage situation.

jimbo_wa 2018.06.18 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mleemor60 (Post 465625)
Sounds like a low voltage situation.

Cheers mleemor60, however it's the same when using a set of AAA 3.7v LiPo cells and dummies.

The ESC and motor gets so hot that it detached a couple of FETs from the underside of the ESC!

mleemor60 2018.06.18 03:31 PM

Oh. make that over voltage. I don't think the board is any good beyond 6.6V. If you are running a pair of blanks and the 3.7's in series you may have your answer. Kyosho made a LIFe pack for mini Z use. I would look for a set of those with all the appropriate harnesses and another board too. You have probably let the smoke escape from the one shown in the photo.

jimbo_wa 2018.06.19 02:40 AM

I'm not sure...

I also have a standard buggy with a Chilli brushed motor which is fine (mental) on the LiPo's and with standard NiMh (sane-ish). Previously using the same NiMh cells on the brushless resulted on lots of heat and major cogging.

None of the FETs are smoked (sight or smell) and I can get the ESC working again (temporarily) by holding the FETs back on their pads - they just melt off again when driving.

I think this must just be a faulty ESC, but for the cost of a new one and finding it in stock, (Japan seems the only option) I could replace all the electrics with standard hobby parts!

mleemor60 2018.06.19 05:49 AM

What gear ratio are you pulling? Pinion tooth count? Try putting a MUCH smaller pinion on it and see if it changes anything. RC Kenon has plenty of parts and accessories for the buggies and they are Stateside.

jimbo_wa 2018.06.20 07:13 AM

I'm running 11/35.

Not sure how I can adjust that any smaller with the supplied motor spacers and 11/33 isn't a supported configuration...

I'm UK based, so easier to order from Japan than US.

mleemor60 2018.06.20 03:07 PM

I am not all that familiar with the spur gears on a buggy but I would be looking to gear the thing nearrer to 6.0:1 than 3.00:1. I don't believe you are looking to set a land speed record. At that gearing I doubt it would climb a small incline let alone muster up enough torque to make a jump. That gearing is likely the cause of the excessive heat you have mentioned as well as the cogging.

jimbo_wa 2018.06.21 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
11/35 gearing on a buggy works out at 11.13:1 - it's the lowest it can be.

TBH, it's a really nice bit of engineering, but the brushless setup sucks. I've been running Micro-T's, a GT-24B and larger scales without issue for years and this just didn't work out of the box.

Thinking that the below would be far cheaper and 'simplify' things considerably:

HobbyKing® ™ Brushless Car ESC 10A w/ Reverse

DasMikro Micro Digital Servo Drive Board

FrSky XMR Mini Receiver - I use these on all my other micro R/C's.

I loose the ability to run ASF and a gyro, but get a working chassis...

jimbo_wa 2018.08.21 09:04 AM

Just to close this off - it was a duff ECO motor that cooked the ESC...

Kyosho Japan and Banzai Hobby have really stepped up to the plate and replaced both the ECO motor and the v2.0 ESC free of charge.

It's taken a bit of time to sort out, but it's a happy outcome and I will gladly purchase from Banzai in the future as their support is great.

arch2b 2018.08.22 06:21 AM

Glad to hear it was resolved to your satisfaction. Good customer service seems harder to find these days.

jimbo_wa 2018.09.07 06:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks arch2b, I agree and it's a refreshing change!

To close this off with a working R/C, I finally managed to apply my MCI Racing decals onto the stock Optima Buggy body - yes, I know they are 'really' for the Optima Mid... :D