Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Batteries, Chargers and Dischargers (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA / AAA (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24299)

rkk 2007.02.18 10:13 PM

got a link to the Maha MA-C9000? Nothing came up on google.

Sinister_Y 2007.02.18 10:23 PM

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/view...?idproduct=423

Spoon 2007.02.18 11:18 PM

Great! Last thing I need is another charger, but this Maha sounds like it really fills in the gaps missing with the laCrosse. The LaCrosse is still awesome but the discharge rate thing does bother me a bit.

One question...does this new Maha stop charging when the batteries are full (i.e. NO trickle charge). If so, this thing could be the Bee's Knees. :D

I just noticed that this can run off of 12v power. That's a huge deal for the integrated pit box...I may have to start working on another version. 70 bucks though...that could be a problem. :(

rkk 2007.02.19 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister_Y

Thanks for the link.

herman 2007.02.19 04:02 AM

pardon my ignorance... idiot question coming up... but how long will it take to charge 700, 750, 850, 950, 1000 mah batts? i'm guessing it depends on what current you set it right?

shuter 2007.02.19 09:58 AM

sinister_y - Could'nt agree more on the MH-C9000. A great charger that will properly "FORM" your new batteries. It discharges and charges them individually to properly condition them based on each batteries individual needs. It has, IMO, the most advanced electronics available for forming/charging/discharging NiMH batteries. Your batteries will love you for it.

RKK - Try "Thomas Distributing" for Powerex/Maha chargers. Great information, prices and service.

Spoon -The MH-C9000 follows the main charge with a 100mA top off charge for two hours. It then applies a 10mA trickle charge until batteries are removed. This pulse trickle charge, when properly applied, enhances battery health by breaking up crystaline formation, thereby maintaining maximum battery capacity. This is a very smart charger.

Herman - The charge rate on the MH-C9000 is programable for each battery. A charge rate of (.5C to 1C) is the recommended charge rate. For a 750 mAh intellect AAA battery that means that a charge rate of 750 mAh will charge a fully depleated battery in about 1 hour (1C). In practical usage, say during races that last a few minuites, your batteries will only be discharged a fraction of their capacity. For example, hot laps and a 8 Min. race might discharge your batteries about 50%. If they are then charged at a rate of 1C, they will be fully charged in about 1/2 hour.

I use the MH-C9000 to "FORM" new batteries. This process distributes the electorlytes evenly and prepares them to accept maximum charge capacity. It takes about 36 hours of discharging, resting, charging, resting. Each battery is constantly evaluated by the charger during this process. The cycle is repeated again and the results are compared automatically to the previous cycle and will be repaeted until each battery has reached its maximum attainable capacity. Proper charging/discharging protocol will keep them that way for a very long time. This is the only charger I could find that has these abilities other than commercial units costing hundreds of dollars.

I use the Powerex/Maha MH-C810D for charging at races. While not quite as sophisticated as the MH-C9000, the charge algorithms it uses are similar and it will charge 8 batteries at a time at a rate of about 1C. Using four or maybe six sets of batteries, you could run all day with fresh batteries. Batteries should be rested for a while after charging allowing them to stabilize before use. For those of you with travel boxes, the MH-C810D will take up no more space than two of the LaCrosse or Duracell units and will maintain battery health, keeping your batteries powerful, healthy and happy for a very long time.

arch2b 2007.02.19 10:09 AM

shutter excellently explains many of the attractive features of this charger.

here is the info straight from the website

Four independent slots

It's like having four charger-analyzers for AA and AAA NiMH / NiCD batteries.

Large backlit LCD display

Digitally displays capacity, voltage, time and current.

Endless programming possibilities - over 10,000 ways!

29 selectable charging and discharging rate. Charging current from 0.2A to 2.0A and discharging current from 0.1A to 1.0A in 0.1A increments.

Five modes of operation

Charge: Recharges the battery at the selected rate.

Suitable for batteries used frequently.

Refresh & Analyze: Charges the battery, rest for one hour, discharge, rest again, then recharges it. Selectable charging and discharging rate.

Suitable for batteries stored for more than two weeks but less than 3 month or those showing poor performance.

Break-In: Also known as IEC capacity measurement and "Battery Forming". Charges battery at 0.1C for 16 hours, rest for one hour, discharges battery at 0.2C, then recharges again at 0.1C for 16 hours.

Suitable for new batteries and those stored for more than 3 month.

Discharge: Discharges the battery at the selected rate.

Cycle: Performs charge-discharge cycle for up to 12 times with discharge capacity stored in memory. Recharges battery after final cycle.

New ways to take care of your batteries and maximize runtime!

Battery Matching

In most devices, usually two or more batteries are used together. When batteries are used in a series, the performance is limited by the worst one. In other words, one poorly performing battery can significantly reduce the device runtime.

Battery matching refers to grouping batteries with similar “actual” capacity. To perform this, use the Refresh & Analyze mode to determine the battery capacity. Group batteries with capacity within about +/- 5% of the rated capacity.

Battery Forming

New batteries and those stored for extended period become chemically deactivated. Battery forming is a charge-discharge-charge cycle which forces a full charge into the battery at a very slow rate. This process activates the battery. In certain cases, it needs to be repeated two or three times.

Battery forming can be performed using the Break-In mode.

Delivers just the right charge

Independent negative delta V, temperature and timer protection eliminates over and undercharging.

Super light travel worldwide power supply and 12V compatible

Worldwide 100-240V switching adapter - light weight and small. Also compatible with 12V input. Will work on car when used with the optional cigarette lighter adapter.

User Manual

Hood 2007.02.19 10:21 AM

Maha C810D

I also have 2 of this charger and they have been excellent for charging and conditioning my packs. I have seen alot of problems with the LaCrosse chargers with displays not working, and charge modes not working on relatively new chargers. I was considering buying one of the 900s, but I will look into the Maha chargers more..

Thanks for the info..

See thread on this charger

arch2b 2007.02.19 10:24 AM

i split the threads so that each of these units could get the proper attention without drifting into discussions on other chargers.

as hood does well, keep any references to other units brief and to the point as there are threads on these already. link to those when needed.

rharris 2007.02.19 12:10 PM

I'm just picked up a LaCrosse V33. I've been playing with it for the pas few days trying to bring back some bad Intelects.

The LaCrosse has "Refresh" mode, where it will discharge and charge a battary untill it the capacity stablaizes.

It sounds like the thing the MH-C9000 does? How is the MaHa better?

arch2b 2007.02.19 12:17 PM

it appears to have 2 functions that address this, refresh and analyze and cycle.

the refresh only goes thru 2 cycles where as the cycle maxs out at 12 cycles. i'm not sure how many cycles the refresh for the bc-900 goes thru at the moment as i don't have the specs infront of me.

shuter 2007.02.19 12:21 PM

arch2b - Not sure what you mean by splitting the threads so I'll respond here. I see my post came up long after yours. Yours was not there when I started my post. I was interrupted while composing before finally finishing and posting. I would have responded a little differently after reading yours.

I agree completely about reading/researching in an attempt to sort out the details. I also found my way to some photo sites and read a great number of personal opinions and evaluations. Personally though, after wading through hours worth of these I felt they leaned toward personal biases and tended to lack definative information. More informatin on the Maha C9000 charger can be found at "Thomas Distributing". Click on picture of MH-C9000 and read the info under the tabs, "Description", "Features", and "Specs". (sorry, I do not know how to link that information into this thread) There is a great deal of information available there. Additional information was gained by talking directly with the tech rep at Powerex/Maha. The use of pulse trickle, when necessary, by the MH-C9000 to break up crystelline formation was gained by conversing with their tech rep. I found complete information on the LaCrosse BC-900 harder to come by. A direct side by side comparison of information leaves the BC-900 lacking information. I conclude (perhaps incorrectly) that the lack of more specific information available is due to lhe lack of sophisticated features. Were you able to find more complete information on that unit than available at Thomas Distributing? The lack information available to me colors my view and leaves me assuming that the BC-900 unit is not as sophisticated as the MH-C9000. Additionally, Powerex/Maha is a company that specializes in the design/manufacture of chargers whereas LaCrosse does not. The Powerex Maha units tend to be distributed through high end specialized outlets while the LaCrosse units tend to be available at mass merchants and discount houses.

IMO both of these units are a substantial upgrade to the typical inexpensive units found at the "Discount Houses" that many of us use.

Current Pricing: MH-C9000 $59.97 BC-900 $48.97

The MH-C801D charges 8 AAA batteries at a rate of 700mAh (On the high end of perfect for Intellects) and features a conditioning button that will automatically condition batteries when selected. IMO a very good unit for charging at races. $69.97.

arch2b 2007.02.19 12:36 PM

i split the threads so that talk of each charger would be in each respective thread.

i do not rely on the distributor in this case, thomas distributing, for all the info. i prefer to get most info right from the manufacturer when possible vs. the retailer. sometimes it's all teh same stuff though. i went to some camera forums and searched there as they tend to get down and dirty with the details vs. the basics and shop listing material you see on retail websites. yes, you are correct in that there are bais involved but that is so of every forum. you'll also see it in retailer info they choose to display as well. bias is everywhere in business... i like to think however the photo guys are a bit more picky and descriminating in thier discetion of the chargers and the information.

i don't want you to think i don't believe you or are in some manner discrediting you as i am not and is not my intention. i thank you for posting some first hand experience. i have not seen one of these yet.

shuter 2007.02.19 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rharris
I'm just picked up a LaCrosse V33. I've been playing with it for the pas few days trying to bring back some bad Intelects.

The LaCrosse has "Refresh" mode, where it will discharge and charge a battary untill it the capacity stablaizes.

It sounds like the thing the MH-C9000 does? How is the MaHa better?

I am not arch but will try to help.
The answer to your question is difficult and lengthy. Rather than attempt to cross match info and try and post the comparisons here (possibly incorrectly) I suggest you go to Thomas Distributing and read the MH-9000 info under the Description, Features and Specs tabs and compare them to the BC-900 information also available there. I think you will agree the MH-C9000 has more sophisticated features to maximize battery performance.

arch2b 2007.02.19 01:35 PM

i started a thread for the bc-900 with all the info i could get quickly from lacrosse website
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24306