Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mini-Z Overland MV-01 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Thanksgiving Day Races (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10899)

arch2b 2003.11.29 11:52 AM

Thanksgiving Day Races

i sponsored our first turkey day races this year by which i mean all but 2 z's were mine.

we had races for both the overland and racer classes consisting of 3 cars for each and 3 races for each. i have soo many cousins (not even half actually participated), we had 2 races for each class and a third race to determine the actual winner for each class. nothing complicated, simple and sweet.

the track was simple, sealed concrete floor with improvised track barriers and obstacles. yes, i included obstacles (hot wheels mostly) which made it very fun and did no damamge to the cars/trucks.
it was basically a few up and downs with some turns thrown in, in cluding some steel pipe columns to avoid. the staights were about 10 feet long which was nice because you got to get the cars up to full speed. it was more like "crash and burn" (gc game) though. the overland course was the same with 12" high ramp that looked alot like scenes from dukes of hazard. i also used gernerous amounts of hot wheels for runn off areas as well.

the racer races were rather uneventful as everyone took more care to not damage the cars. it was lots of fun though as once in awhile someone hit a hot wheel and you would see this tiny metal car fling across the track. the hot wheels run off worked perfectly. coushined the impacts and you backed out and kept going. (no pictures of the tracks...i was too busy watchign everying like the parent i am with two of my rc's running around controlled by someone else, it would have been embarassing to actually show too). needless to say i didn't win. i had more fun knocking hot wheels around.

the overland races were the best of the night! these things are far better than racer races. the jump made it very interesting and made for some great bloopers moments, mostly by me. there was alot more road rash and bashing going on too. nothing like being bumped on the ramp approach at full speed.... this style of racing took it's tool on my overlands though. by the time it ended, i was out in the 3rd ol race with a stripped diff and both my ol's suffered bed roof rack damage. (i now know they are not ment to land on concrete) it was well worth it though as any thing done can be fixed.

overall i had a blast. if i only had more z's..... next year i hope to have a nice rcp track setup for this event, hopefully some more z's (not owned by me) too. i only managed to get some pictures after the fact, sorry. i was to busy being the worriesome parent, picking up cars that managed to go off course etc...

i put the few pictures i did get in a new album in my gallery for events, here

Vmax 2003.11.29 12:19 PM

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Are you planning on hosting a Christmas race as well?

By the way, the link to your albumn didn't work for me....

arch2b 2003.11.29 02:32 PM

opps, fixed!

arch2b 2003.11.29 03:02 PM

hmmm.....a christmas race!! good idea!

although i think i'd liek to drop the racers and stick to overlands. they proved to be much more fun. now i need to pick up about 2 more so i can fill out the field (i'm getting one in january already).

by next year, i hope to have an rcp track and maybe f1's for the serious racing (afterhours sort of thing).

the thing about racing so many overlands is, as i've learned, it to have plenty of batteries (i have about 6 sets....extra charger would be nice too) and no shortage of replacement parts. since i have 2 full alloy overlands, i have atleast that many stock parts which was nice. and no, my brother's silver land cruiser which is mostly stock still, was not any faster than mu fully modded overlands. although both my overlands have fet stacks and turbo required motors while my brother had a pn speedy. the alloy does add weight....especially when you doing 12" jumps;) his would smack down and bounce slightly...mine just smacked down.
since i used the pajero to race, i've come to appreciate my choice of the x5 for my cup racing ol. the pajero definately has a disadvantage in hangling. it tips easier and if your not careful when turning it will get really squirley (i used an atomic modified motor). you can do some great breaking drifts with the land cruiser and much easier to come out of a tight turn giving it gas. overall, much more predicatable. i'm going to have to run the x5 extensively at christmas to see how it compares to the land cruiser. my cup x5 might be done by then and my other x5 is already destined for a higher purpose. rats, i guess i'll have to get another (refering to bodies).

toyotaland369 2003.11.29 05:35 PM

i would like to do that some day:D

reverb 2003.11.29 11:28 PM

man arch, i wish i was in your neck of the woods. sounds like a blast! racing overlands is super fun, i have to agree. my friend at work and i both have pajero's and nothing's more fun with them than a little rally action, trading paint in the whoops and bumpin on the jumps. thanks for sharing.

toyotaland369 2003.11.30 12:41 PM

i usually have a get together every now and then with friends and race OL's but im the only one with a racer so i want them to get some racers so we can have two different classes:)

mini-z 2003.11.30 02:20 PM

Cool! We had Thanksgiving at my parents' house this year so I took the RCP Track and some Zs over too. My brother also brought his Z from Chicago. Racing on the Wide L was a blast; I ended up driving the Land Cruiser as it was fairly easy to flip, thus handicapping my superior driving against the opposition. This did result, however, in driving over an Enzo at one point and taking off a mirror, but...oh well! :)

toyotaland369 2003.11.30 02:23 PM

sounds like a blast! who needs mirrors anyways???;)

arch2b 2003.11.30 06:16 PM

sounds like you had a great time too mini-z;) did your wife participate?

i'll have to be mre creative for the christmas races....i'll also have to have someone take pictures too.

arch2b 2003.12.28 10:49 AM

xmas overland jumping

i posted lots of jumping pictures from the xmas holidays! needless to say i broke both mirror's off my blue x5...confirms my belief tht the new ol bodies are nto as sturdy as the original as i have yet to break a mirror off an old pajero or land cruiser. i don't think i will buy dark color bodies to to race with as they show every nick, scratch etc. the blue x5 looks horrible now.

anyway start here and flip through the rest... htey were entertaining to do, watch and post:D

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album1...0066.sized.jpg

RedRSX 2003.12.28 12:35 PM

LOL I really like the pics where the pajero is perfectly upsidedown!!! LOLOL

mini-z 2003.12.30 01:15 PM

Nice! What shocks were on that OL and how did they handle that height? RE the mirrors, the X5 is particularly bad, literally almost half of the ones we've ordered have arrived w/ a mirror already broken off in the box (which we of course send right back to the distributor). I've even seen them at the LHS w/ the mirror broken off in box as no one paid attention when stocking the shelves it appears. :rolleyes:

arch2b 2003.12.30 01:27 PM

the pajero has gpm dampers (ones that actually work) with gpm silver springs. they are rather stiff but work well for jumping. actually, the only problem i've had is from not buying locktight or however you spell it because the screw have a tendencay to wiggle loose after awhile. i do not doubt i would get even better air had the pajero chassis not been all alloy;) but then again it might not be in one peice:p

Ken Mifune 2003.12.30 06:05 PM

Arch,
Nice pics. While in the air, did you try controlling the pitch with the throttle?