View Single Post
Old 2002.08.18, 10:36 AM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Re: Stock Class Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by DAMZer
My advice to all that enter into the world of Mini-z's, when you have modded to the point that it is no longer fun, get back to the stock mode and set up a track of some sort, involve some friends and get the cars equal.
DAMZer,

Agreed, a Mini-Z with a hot motor and twin-turbo presents grip problems. Overcome them with a tyre and you have handling problems.
Mini-Z tintops will always be limited on how much you can effectively improve the handling.
Sure, the H-Plates, Toe-in bars and spring/damper sets do help, but it repaidly gets to a point where the design limitations kick in and you end up uninstalling the Turbo and reverting back to an X-Speed type motor.

I bought a Bolink Legend 1/12 to race, as a club near me races these oh-so-basic 1/12 scale cars.
They slap limitations on the cars too regarding motors and batteries.
Only one motor type and one 7.2 Volt battery type may be used.
I have never got around to assembling the Bolink Legend, but I do have everything needed to make it run.
Fortunately I have watched a Legends race and it all boils down to driver skill and not how much money you can pump into the Bolink Legend - due to rule limitations.

So, I got distracted and bought a Micro RS4.
I've pumped hundreds of Dollars into it.
If I were to race against some more standard RS4's, I know that my Micro RS4 has the potential to outclass them. This could make up for my deficiency as a driver, so I am a middle pack driver with a big budget car and I can stick it out with the top drivers and their middle-budget Micros.
Agreed DAMZer, it isn't fair is it?

I think it's hard to get back to basics and I justify this statement by admitting my modified Mini-Z tintop is a lot more fun to drive than my almost standard one.
I couldn't imagine driving a standard Micro RS4 either.
Also, it's nice to show off exactly what lives under the bodyshell.

So, tell me, how exactly do we get back to basics?

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote