View Single Post
Old 2010.09.03, 12:00 PM   #42
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
great collection arch2b... wondering... while using for them for 10 years... did they develop any kinks or dents? like has durability ever been an issue while racing?
As arch has said, despite their appearance the Squares are actually very tough wheels. My current set has seen two races, and I don't see any dents; as soon as I clean the dust off they should look good as new. The thing about Squares vs. any plastic wheel is that the hub is NOT a weak spot: you might manage to nick the face or the lip if you're traveling at insane speeds outdoors, but you'll never break the outer rim from the hub, and hence you will never DNF due to breaking a wheel. All you have to do is fix the dent.

If you're considering using these as dedicated racing rims -- which is perfectly fine considering their weight and quality -- my only advice is to not glue directly to the aluminum if you want to keep your wheels looking nice. Wrap two layers of Scotch tape (translucent, standard type) around each wheel, cut off excess tape with a knife, then glue the tire to the taped rim. Also makes tire removal very easy, just rip it off. No need to cut into your rim.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote