View Single Post
Old 2012.07.17, 05:22 PM   #7
Fovea3d

They can not crack
Seriously I tried to crack one, I had to step on it (dNano Dallara prototype) and finaly the side skirt cracked along the moulding line.

I don't think these can crack during a race. I suppose it is the cellular structure that prevents a crack line to progress as it does with moulded ABS, once a small crack appears.

But because they are half the thickness of an autoscales (to keep the price and weight low), they can deform, and you are right, the front corner particulary if round in shape will deform in a crash and expose the tire to the obstacle making it come off the rim. This is why I added rigidity ribs there, sometimes horizontal, sometimes vertical, but the "inner splitter" solved it completely.
BTW, on the 'Cuda it is the grill recess that plays this role and makes the whole front rigid.

True, every small amount of added material will raise the cost.
Minimum wall thickness prevents this, but being able to print as thin as lexan would cut the price probably in half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Thanks for the responses. It has my thumbs up

The inner splitter sounds like a good idea as it ads rigidty to the nose without protruding from the body. The font corners take the biggest beating and are most often where autoscales crack. I'm sure adding a little beefiness to this area will benefit the driver but will add to the volume/cost.

Thanks,
Raymond
My mini-z collection

Last edited by Fovea3d; 2012.07.17 at 05:57 PM.
Fovea3d is offline   Reply With Quote