View Single Post
Old 2018.02.16, 07:59 PM   #16
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Thanks for sharing the videos and information about the classes.

In my testing, I have seen considerable difference in power from LiPo vs LiOn. There is more current capacity, and higher runtime voltage. The LiOn was much more tame with the same motors, granted we were only using brushed motors on the 2wd cars. The LiPo powered cars could easily run 10 minutes, where the LiOn cars would get around 6 minutes before a noticeable drop in power occurred. Due to the runtime with LiOn, race time was limited to 5 minutes.

My idea of class structure would categorize the classes based on speed... Stock: 70t AAA speed, Pro Stock 48t AAA speed, and modified would not need a translation. I have found that we typically have the best racing experience with a pro stock class. Stock often leaves you desiring more speed, and searching for every little drop of power you can get. Modified thins the herd too much.

My opinion is that the AAA LiOn cells create confusion in an already confusing scenario that we are in. They are convenient to upgrade a Mini-Z without very much hassle, but it is a harder sell on new racers when a LiPo car could just be plug and play.

I feel that LiPo/brushless is the future for the scale, but we cannot force it on people that would prefer to take a more casual approach to their racing and have older equipment. The scale needs accessibility to get new racers in the door, and allow older racers to come back to the track without needing to reinvest in equipment. Neither party should come to the track and feel at a disadvantage... the balance will be very difficult, and perhaps impossible.

It could be that we would really just need to restrict classes based on voltage, and keep 2S for modified alone.

Electronics options are very important as Kyosho has been inconsistent with their frequency bands. I personally would prefer to use a Sanwa receiver with a brushless ESC and a micro servo in my ideal car. The Kyosho servo has great response, but takes up too much real-estate in the chassis and needs an additional PCB to control it. Not really a big deal, but much easier just to buy a micro servo.

As I experienced with the MRCG while developing it, many micro servos do not handle the low 4.8v of AAA well, resulting in low speed and issues recentering and would not handle 1S well without a voltage booster. I have searched for an appropriate 1S Brushless ESC with booster, and have not found anything. So, we are still limited by accessible electronics to outfit a brushless 1S class without having low voltage for the servo.

The most important thing right now is getting people on track. Including new and old technology in a race program, whether it is together or separated by classes until a full balance of power can be assessed. The diehard racers will always get what they need to get to be fast, but the casual racers dont want to constantly need to reinvest to stay current.

Last edited by EMU; 2018.02.16 at 09:53 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote