View Single Post
Old 2019.11.25, 08:17 AM   #19
LJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGeorge View Post
Thanks, Jim. Yes, I’m not trying to mod to go fast. I’m trying to get something that will be easy to drive, so I don’t bump it as much. I’ve just about got it to where I can only do 3 laps without bumping anything.

I thought switching to the lowest KV motor I could and smallest pinion would be working toward that goal. The 4100KV is currently out of stock, but you can buy the car. That’s why I asked about the body. The MM2 mount seemed like it was going to be better than other mounts, again for a more stable drive for me, not faster. I have also read about tires, so I got a few of those. I know I don’t have enough experience yet to mess with dampers, springs and the like; just aiming at a stable car for me to learn on.

I also saw there is a 3500KV motor from PN, but got really confused about the mounts I need and what else I need to change, so gave up on that. 4100 seems close enough and I’ll gear it down as well as set the transmitter to a restricted throttle travel. With the 12000KV EVO for example, I have the EX-6R set to 10%

The World Challenge is helping a lot and I will participate in a couple more weeks. I’m half way through the thread trying to gather up information about more stable setups. I copied yours and Duckman’s so far. I have 5 cars right now and was trying to figure out which one would best to practice with (two MR-03: Porsche GT3 and McLaren P1, a VE PRO, an EVO RWD and an EVO AWD). It took me forever to figure things out with some problems I had that eventually I solved with the ICS. So, I can drive now.

After the previous comments about the longer bodies performing just as well and better than the shorter ones even on a tight track with sharp turns, I looked at everything again. Apparently, the steering travel was set to a default value (90) for some of these cars that wasn’t allowing enough steering angle and I was having problems getting around the turns if I wasn’t taking them really wide. I increased that and now as was said earlier I can drive the longer bodies fine as well.

I decided to try the box stock category first, so I was running the Porsche GT3 yesterday, which is 90mm. I’m not sure what the stock motor is, but it sounds like I can run it in the box stock class. I’ll just change the tires, because it hops under acceleration and on some turns. I also noticed the front left shock is binding a bit, but I think that’s just a matter of filing some part down. I’ll get to it.
Glad to hear that you got the steering sorted.

Box stock is a great way to start, the cars run well right out of the box for the most part but that does not mean that preparation will not help. My latest MR03 RWD had all sorts of issues with the front suspension not working smoothly, I bet I spent close to two hours polishing stuff and making sure everything worked well before I was happy. This sort of attention to details will make a car run much better and it is basically free save for your time.

Just keep running laps and you will get there. In my early days on the M96WC there were times I was like "there is no way you can turn a lap that fast" when some of the times were posted but I kept at it and my lap times kept falling and I started to be competitive with the faster guys.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote