View Single Post
Old 2005.02.04, 05:21 PM   #6
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Micro RS4 Chassis

No flames...

I have two Micro RS4s running, one under contruction and a (Brushless) XRay M18.

Penguin Chassis

By far the most preferred chassis of YourMicro.com members
Brion Sohn of Penguin RC has to be one of the nicest guys in RC. He always adds input to Memebers' Threads and listens to what Members demand from a chassis

The Penguin P3500 series chassis are carbon and they use a roll plate rear suspension geometry. Various roll plates are available in soft, medium and hard.
They can be configured to 140mm or 150mm wheelbase
The P3500LM is a pan chassis. I use one on Micro #1 with the P3501VM (vertical servo mount) upper deck.
The P3500 is the narrow version. The 3500s come with VCS rear shock compatible rear decks.

The new(ish) P3500el is the entry level G10 fibre glass version with a non adjustable rear end. Very popular and progressive for its price.
It is sold as a base chassis and the upper/rear decks are sold seperately

All 3500 series chassis support the optional centre battery plate and servo mount made by Penguin RC. (I use the battery mounts on both Micros #1 and #2 and the servo mount on Micro #1)
The P3500LM and P3500el support Penguin's saddle pack configuration and bullet configuration

ARM Pan Chassis

Unfortunately ARm have closed but they manufactured the ARM Pan which is a fibre glass 150mm only chassis. This was a very popular chassis with YourMicro Members and offered fantastic performance for $15.
My still incomplete Micro #3 uses one. I had mine drilled and countersunk to support 140/150mm wheelbase
The ARM was just a base Pan chassis, no upper/rear decks included

IPD 140 Chassis

This is also discontinued but very popular and hard to find. It is a CF 140mm only pan chassis as a full lower/upper/rear deck set
If you are lucky enough to find one for sale you'll pay a premium for it, they still don't come cheap, even second hand.

Ratzas

When I first joined YourMicro the Ratzas was quite popular but a few Members reported that the rear suspension plate (where the motor pod lives) was breaking under race conditions.
Ratzas played this down to misuse and bad driving
When the Ratzas Extreme (tweakable) was released it was by far the most progressive Micro chassis money could buy.. until the Penguin chassis waddled on to the Micro scene.
We rarely ever hear from Ratzas on YourMicro and they are not as popular as they used to be.

Team Orion CF Chassis

140 or 150mm narrow carbon chassis. I owned one. Avoid it..

Lastly, the M18. The composite plastic chassis left a lot to be desired for Brushless applicatrions. I like the M18, it's great. Mine consists of 85% hop ups.
Out of the box the M18 is a more progressive and modern design than the Micro RS4. It has independant suspension all round and a shaft drive.
There are limitations to the design like battery/electronics placement etc..
however in the right hands a good Micro RS4 is more than capable of winning in a race as the 2004 SoCal Micro Class results clearly demonstrated

Some photos are attached for reference purposes. All the cars in photos are mine excluding the IPD chassis which was borrowed from a YourMicro Thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IPD 140.jpg (68.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Micro P3500LM (5).JPG (465.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P3500 narrow.JPG (236.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg M18 Assembled Reduced size.JPG (288.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TO_Chassis.JPG (91.5 KB, 13 views)

The UberMod is back in town...

Last edited by Mondo; 2005.02.05 at 03:59 AM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote