Thread: Mrcg Awd...
View Single Post
Old 2009.01.14, 12:02 AM   #65
Aurora

Hmmm....not radical enough?

I guess this really is a subjective call, but observing from 2 previous released versions of custom AWD that I know, going to the extreme of stand-alone chassis(which hardly compatible with original AWD parts) leads no where. Those products hardly gain popularity, might be something to do with publicity, but mostly probably due to high price and doubtful spare parts availability.

I think by introducing:

1) lower CG and better weight management
2) Slide-in motor, allow possibility of brushless
3) 3rd party electronics possible
4) Potential better performing parts, but compatible with original parts

Those are already pretty radical, and the fact that it works with original parts is actually a way to guarantee spare parts availability. It will appeal to both AWD junkies and ordinary AWD customers, since the upkeep can be low and the parts used can be switched between original and new MRCG chassis.

The only one improvement I could think of...just off top my head is the idea of HPI E10 where a 'drift' and 'touring' car weight distribution could be reversed easily and moving the last fourth battery to the motor side to achieve even lower CG.

I am sure when Kyosho first release AWD, extensive research and test driving has been done to ensure the product is competitive and has appeal to customers. Think about it, it is already a pretty amazing machine that allows a decent degree of tuning to perform even better. And it might be wise to not stay too far away from this original blue print, since the R&D time and cost is not likely to be justified by a small production.

If we look at our cousins, 1/18, say Associated RC18T, which is a rather popular truck in US. There are quite a few 'conversion kits' successfully released. But did we see many custom 1/18? Those conversion kits are not be cheap, but yet hardly anyone is willing to take the plunge in making a brand new design.

Anyway, I am rambling now, and the post might not do much to improve the situation; but I do hope PN or parts maker get to read what's written here.