View Single Post
Old 2018.02.11, 10:33 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Welcome back to RC. Im stepping back into it as well. Havent fully caught back up, but heres a few answers to some of the questions.

2s LiFe is doable, the current is relatively low, so there isnt much punch but the the rpm is there due to the voltage. 2s LiPo on a brushed car is just too fast. Even a 70t is equally fast to the fastest AAA modified car. With low speed brushless, like a 3500kv, speeds are much more manageable on the 2wd platform. AWD, a 5000 pretty much nails the sweet spot. The motors just arent quite ready for 2s LiPo at the moment.

My opinion would be that 1s would be the better option for power at this scale, but would need a voltage booster for the servo speed unless you can find a decent low priced 1s receiver with booster built in. On an AWD platform, it can handle 2s, but 2wd its a little too fast in its tamest form without reducing power.

As far as receivers, PN has a mini-z PCB that is Spektrum, but designated for 4xAAA. The extent of its compatibility is unknown to me, so some reasearch would be needed. If going with a seperate RX, there are good micro brushless ESCs available, just need to figure out the wiring to servo.

The overlands faded quite a bit over the years. I had three at one point, and enjoyed them in the house where I couldnt run my racers. The Mini-Z buggy is fun, but expensive to hop up if looking to throw a lot of power into it.

The servo saver works well. I build my cars with one alloy servo gear from the start, but rarely need to open the servo after a lot of mileage on the cars.

The MR03 can be extended, but custom t-plates are needed. As for a buggy, not really without a custom chassis.

Cant really lift the racers... bigger wheels would be the only real way to do it, and you wouldnt be going up that much.

What are you looking to do with the car/truck? Race track, obstacles/crawling, tinkering? The cars now are 2wd racer (MR-03), AWD MA-020, and new FWD MA-03F. If you are not running on a track, I would suggest the latter, as it would be much easier to lengthen a FWD than an AWD if you wanted to fit a custom body. You still wouldnt be able to get much ride height out of the cars, so I wouldnt recommend them for street use.

My opinion, is that if you plan to go with 2s lipo, a seperate RX and PCB, the Mini-Z may not be the best option. It takes a while to convert the car, and then its just too fast for this scale, and too small to use on the street. The Monsters were perfect for that. If you are not looking for speed, but want Lipo, a 1s config would be better.

If you want to get the Mini-z, and swap out the electronics, you may have a difficult time fitting it all in there on the racers, where the AWD and FWD you can more easily mount them on top. The buggy would need more custom work for LiPo, but can run the Lion AAA with swapping the wiring to parallel and modifying the contacts.