Thread: DMR Mini-z PC
View Single Post
Old 2015.01.26, 05:47 PM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Not trying to be mean to you but just because something incorporates modern 1/12th technology doesn't make it better. You have to consider economy of scale. To make something equal to an existing larger part the price goes up exponentially to maintain the quality. Nano technology is much costlier than micro technology.

I'm all for a 1/28th scale RC car with modern technology that can be a bridge to the larger scales. A true "modified" platform like the MRX would be a godsend. There are several useable 1/28th platforms out there already they just never caught on very well here in the U.S. because the standard Z is such a reliable platform to work with. If you check some of the European sites you will see what I am speaking of. If they had a drawback it was in the steering because of the low 4.8V electronics we worked with couldn't properly drive the servo. The advent of lipo's to the scale will open a lot of new doors for the scale. What will soon be faced is the dilution of the market for any of the offerings. Then it will truly be like 1/12th scale where we all kept buying the car of the week in order to keep up until everybody(ask Tommy Lane) got fed up and went 1/8th scale racing to save money. It's been since 1985 for me but I still have a footlocker full of old 1/12th junk. The more complicated they made it the fewer guys kept up.

Again. I am for the progress up to and including the new X-Power wanna be 28th scale touring car. We should welcome all of them to the fold and let anybody that has too much disposable income to come and race in conjunction with us but not with us. When the dust finally settles the Z's will still be running as what they are and the rest of the stuff will be in a drawer somewhere. Except for the tiny niches of insanity scattered around the country.

Just my opinion but then again I speak from experience.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote