Thread: Visting Japan.
View Single Post
Old 2018.05.24, 06:10 PM   #8
TeeSquared
Redline

It was fantastic! A really amazing adventure. I wish I'd had longer than a week but as it was, I came home exhausted and 10lb lighter from hauling luggage and exploring almost entirely on foot On our longest day, we walked 18 Km around Tokyo.

The food was incredible, other than a night spent in Hakane at a traditional Japanese Inn. They only served seafood, and neither myself or my girlfriend can tolerate seafood at all. We went hungry for a few days At least there was rice!

I did visit RC Super Rajikon in Tokyo. Loved it. I could spend obscene amounts of money there. The mini-Z selection was a little picked over but still miles better than any other hobby shop I've seen. Unfortunately there was a bit of a language barrier, and my translation app was obviously butchering what I was trying to say since my questions mostly elicited puzzled looks from the staff. Still thought it was a great place. It seems that Super Rajikon is in a neighborhood that has all kinds of hobby stores as I spent most of the afternoon wandering around them. Japanese model railways are particularly noteworthy, as are some of the bizarre/creepy, photo-realistic Anime & Manga figurines.

The rest of Japan was exciting and beautiful. The bullet trains are a real thrill. The subway in Tokyo during rush hour was insane, and as a 6' tall white guy with a wardrobe of brightly colored clothing, I stood out (literally) like a sore thumb in a sea of conservative business attire. The Peace Museum and A-bomb Dome in Hiroshima really stand out for me. It's an unforgettable experience to hear the story of the atomic bomb from the Japanese peoples perspective. We were fortunate enough to meet some survivors while we were there, both on an entirely impromptu basis. I was very fortunate to be traveling with people who spoke Japanese at this point. It's a little surreal to speak with someone that has survived and atomic blast used in anger.

Japan is absolutely amazing. The culture is wonderful. The people are kind. The food is delicious. Everything about it was unforgettable. I can't wait to go back!

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2018.10.11 at 07:30 PM.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote