Thread: LIT Mods
View Single Post
Old 2006.11.21, 09:21 PM   #1
LBRC

LIT Mods

#1 Mini-Z LIT mod has to be a 9v PS jack for the charger. Cannibalized this one from a spare Epoch charger, when plugged in it opens the negative battery connection so you don’t destroy the batteries with the power supply.

#2 is simply ball bearings, the LIT is hopeless without them.

#3 gets complicated but anybody who has ever tried to upgrade the motor in an Epoch then run it on a track should recognize the problem; battery current is in short supply and the steering goes to crap as the battery power gets low, especially in unfriendly radio reception environments. With the XSpeed upgrade motor it gets even worse. you almost need to be driving in perfect radio reception conditions to make 10 laps on a 2xWL RCP before your steering and throttle response gets squirrelly, even when using a peak charger.

From my trials trying to find a suitable Epoch upgrade motor solution I was expecting the problem, but had hopes that it was why they went with the KT-7 FM radio, but no. Problem is that the Mabuchi square can motors draw way too much current for small batteries, and with the added weight of the larger chassis combined with the higher voltage of the 4 cell pack it’s quite noticeable.

As with the Epoch my fix works, the Shotgun motors are more receiver friendly while doubling the runtime even with the stock battery pack. But also as with the Epoch there is such a thing as too much speed, these things are top heavy and with any motor upgrade rolling becomes a major problem.

First Prototype

Second Prototype bottom

Second Prototype top view with Epoch tires

The lower Epoch tires help on the RCP track but you can't use them with the stock motor box.