View Single Post
Old 2010.10.04, 12:17 AM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
Did I read that correctly? The mr-03 generation ASF board doesn't have the annoying reverse lockout lag?
Correct. I dont have much of a problem with the 02 ASF, but the 03 is better. Almost as fast as AM to reverse. On one of my MR03's I programmed in a little more lag since I kept engaging reverse a little on a small layout where I wanted to brake, coast then brake again.

In general, I feel that KO incorporated the reverse delay to promote the use of virtual inertia to make the car roll more off throttle and use of brake to decelerate. Most racers lose connection with their car because of the virtual inertia, which makes the car slow down less when you release the throttle (less drag brake). A little virtual inertia makes decelerations into corners much smoother, but you have to use brakes or use a setup with a lot of scrub if you want slow down alot in a corner. VI makes you brake more, and they probably found that their test drivers were engaging reverse when braking, and increased the reverse time.

I would have liked them to program the opposite, the ability to engage a little brake when in neutral position. This could work well for motors that have little drag brake like the X-Speed... I adjust this a little with my throttle trim, but there is a limit to what can be done with the controller without interfering with the reverse function. I started racing with an AM MR01 without brakes, and liked the way that I could adjust my drag brake with the throttle trim. When I fully released the throttle, I could have a very predictable brake, and I had instant reverse...

Sorry for the long tangent thought