View Single Post
Old 2009.04.11, 04:11 PM   #1
Felix2010

Silicon Oil Weight(s) for Kyosho MR02 Rear Oil Shock?

Hello everyone!

I not well-versed when it comes to Silicon Oil weights and which weight/type of Silicon Oil should and/or can be used for which application (Oil Shocks, Diffs, etc).

I have a couple Kyosho MR02 Rear Oil Shocks and I use the stock Silicon Oil that comes with it, which according to the instructions is Kyosho "Silicon Oil #200". I am just guessing, but is #200 = 200wt ?

Kyosho has for sale 40cc bottles of Silicon Oil from #100 up to #900, and I am thinking of trying a heavier weight for my Kyosho MR02 Rear Oil Shock. Maybe #400, which is the highest number they list on the Oil Shock instructions.

Now I also have a Mini 3-pack of Trinity Shock Oil that I bought for use with my MR02 Disk Dampers. The set includes one 15ml bottle of each - 20wt. - 25wt. - 30wt.

AND I bought a bottle of OFNA 30000wt. Silicon Diff oil for use with my Reflex Side Damper System.

I would like to know, how do all of these Silicon Oils compare with each other? Do different companies use different weight scales for Silicon oil but in actuality some are the same in viscosity?
For example, how would my Trinity 20wt Shock Oil compare to the Kyosho #200 Silicon shock oil that came with my K MR02 Oil Shock? Would the Trintity 30wt be the same as Kyosho #300? Do shock oils in the 10-90wt range use a completely different weight scale from the Kyosho shock oils in the #100-#900 range and from the ATOMIC 300wt-500wt-1000wt silicon oils?
And what about the extremely-high-wt silicon diff oils? Does the 30000wt MUGEN Diff silicon oil use the same weight scale for comparison as the Kyosho #300 silicon oil?
Do Silicon "Diff" oils use a different measurement scale than Silicon "Shock" oils?

That's a lot of questions I know But just one more: How would my Trinity 20wt shock oil compare to my Kyosho #200 shock oil? They seem to be very similar in viscosity in their bottles. Would the Trinity 30wt shock oil be thicker, and be useable, in my Kyosho Oil Shock and provide heavier damping than the stock #200 Kyosho oil?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote