View Single Post
Old 2005.11.25, 04:56 PM   #1
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
1/24 Lexan Slot Car Body on MR02

I decided to play around with an Idea that I have been thinking of for some time. I have wanted to use a Lexan body for a while to have good downforce with the least weight. I searched around on Ebay to find some cheap bodies, and found these two for $16 shipped.

These bodies are for 4" (102mm) Slot Cars 80mm wide. I had to do some work to custom fabricate a front clip. I had thought about using a CP Cup Car 2 conversion kit (~114mm wheelbase), but it would be a little longer than I would like for this size bodies. I also ordered a few 4.5" bodies which should be arriving soon to use the CP Cup Car 2 kit.

For this project, I used a piece of fatigue foam mat to make the front clip and protect the chassis a little due to the lack of rigidity that the lexan shell has. I dremeled the foam to the shape that I wanted, and cut an area that would fit an Enzo front clip. Since the body basically sits on the top of the chassis, I decided to drill two holes in the body where the rear damper mounts are on the car, and used two pieces from an IW04 shock to retain the shell with screws. I had to dremel out above the damper for clearance.

The chassis that I tested it with is relatively stock. Bearings, tires (8d radial rear, 20d slick front), X-Speed in PN BB can motor,and rear damper were the only performance upgrades. The plastic bumper is on the chassis to prevent the foam from hitting the track as well as pinching the foam to the front Enzo clip.

Heres a little video of me running with my bro in his 575GTC which is one of the best setup cars for this track.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/a...9/mini_rcp.avi
(right click save target, it wont open as a link for me)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LexanShells.JPG (19.4 KB, 221 views)
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote