View Single Post
Old 2009.03.31, 07:50 AM   #56
bemoore
Rolling Chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Releasing a part like this does not make it necessarily more expensive, as it is not necessary to win (Jacob ran a STOCK front end in stock at the KO Grand Prix, no WTF, no caster bar, just 0 degrees of stock front end).
There are people who are so naturally talented that they shouldn't be considered when defining rules. They could outrun me with a bone stock car against my car with every mod known. So that's not a valid argument. The argument should be: For a typical racer, does it provide an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
but I really doubt that you will need it to be competitive, especially in stock where weight is probably more important than infinite adjustment.

What I say, is to not be concerned. I think that you will be fine with your regular front end, so long that you build it properly. Where I see this making a difference is in the Modified classes where the additional surface compliance might make the car more consistent. In stock, the regular front end is more than adequate.
I disagree that it would be an advantage only in mod class. The argument above states that it doesn't make you any faster, but it makes you more consistent. Stock class is often decided by who makes the fewest mistakes, so consistency is often just as important as speed. Where do we draw the line? What happens when a fully articulated independent rear setup with oil shocks comes available? For $200? Do we allow that too? And IF the argument is that it doesn't make you any faster in stock, then what's the problem in not allowing it in stock? Allow it or don't, but don't make the decision based on the "it makes no difference in stock" argument.

I also race slot cars and issue exists there too, but the controversial technology there is electronic controllers. Some argue that the controllers don't make you any faster, which is mostly true. But they DO make you more consistent. So far, in our local slot car club, nobody has won a race without an electronic controller.