View Single Post
Old 2008.02.13, 11:53 PM   #8
CristianTabush

From my experience, they don't all false peak on the Lacrosse. You have to run a fan blowing on them constantly to make sure the temp. sensor does not shut off the charge. Batteries will only charge fully if they are kept cool while charging. I use both a Eagle CDC V.7 (same as ice, etc) and a Lacrosse to charge and I always get a full charge for both. You will always get a higher overall voltage peak if you charge your cells individually v. in series. You just have to monitor your batteries on the Lacrosse. Most batteries should peak in between 1.49-1.56/cell.

I know for a fact that the Maha does not have as high as a cutoff as the Lacrosse, leading to "false peaks". Which essentially means a lower delta peak.

I too have found like John, that the .40 cutoff is ideal. I used to have false peaks with my CDC before I started charging with the higher cut-off.

Remember that the Lacrosse and Maha are not Hobby grade chargers, they are meant to be used with electronics such as camera equipment where the demands for a "hot" peak is not as important.

So don't give up on the Lacrosse, just run a fan over it...

High amp (2-3A) charging will just lead to a shorter battery life and eventual leaking/ possible explosion. IT IS NOT SAFE TO DO THIS. The difference in power is negligible if any on the track, not only that, it is irresponsible to charge a battery at these rates. Don't mean to discredit John, I have not tested his cells, but I know AAA batteries at 900mah are not designed to handle these kind of charge currents. High charge rates will lead to leaking and possibly explosion. (hence the reason why 750mah intellects, which are really 550-600mah do this at 1A charge). Don't make Mini-Z dangerous for yourselves. The equivalent of charging a AAA 900mah battery at 3A is about 15A for a sub C 4800mah(1/10th scale batteries).

If you want a little more power, go to around 1.2 A/ charge...
http://www.reflexracing net

Last edited by CristianTabush; 2008.02.14 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typos
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote