View Single Post
Old 2005.10.18, 07:48 AM   #1
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
Exclamation Fully Propo 4X4 SSMT

I did post this under the 4X4 thread but after suggestion have decieded to start a new thread on this.
There has been lots of talk lately about Kyosho's new 4X4 car coming out and everyone is wanting a 4X4 truck also though none have been found that really fit the bill till now. Fast Lane R/C (distributed through Toys-R-Us) has released the new Super Slick MT in 1/24th scale. Some call it a toy R/C...and it is, but it is also a fully functional 4X4 with diffs and after just a little work and an open heart transplant (junk the stock PCB and replace it with a Kyosho or Iwaver board) it can be a fully proportional 4X4 Monster Truck....read on for more info.

OK guys here's the skinny on the SSMT

#1 No the SSMT is not full propo, it's one step right or left and one step forward, brake and reverse, but it does ok in stock form......Yes it can be made proportional with a Kyosho or Iwaver board. This also includes a potentiometer transplant which is slightly tricky but totally within our abilities.

#2 While it does not have the articulation of the MZM it is still quite good, the upper and lower links you see that look stationary are not, they are mounted on a pivot that the internal drive shaft passes through....quite clever actually. And in reality the articulation of the front and read cases is limited only by the shocks, unlike the MZM/IW04 which are limited by the upper links, so this truck really has some promise for a big articulation crawling monster.

#3 It is a single motor truck and the stock motor is larger than the 130's we use in mini z's, but the MZM or IW04 boards will handle them and they have tons of torque compared to the smaller motors. (I did install an X-Speed just to see and while it was fast, it lacked enough torque and got very hot so went back to the stock motor it came with)

#4 Even after modding it to full propo be careful, the truck is cheaper toy grade plastic and duribility will be an issue. I can't see trying to hop this up into some speed demon, it will just end up broke...but if you want a low speed, high torque 4X4 crawler then this has lots of potential.

#5 There is no servo saver....not yet anyway, I'm still working on that. Not sure yet if we can transplant the whole gear cluster with servo saver. Right now I am using the stock servo gears with a transplanted pot.

#6 The SSMT does have open diffs (meaning it act like the old limited slip diffs, jam one tire and all the power goes to the other side) so these will have to be locked up for any serious crawling...still working on that too.

#7 there are no bearings, nor do I believe any could actually be made to work in this truck, however it does ride on a set of very smooth and slick nylon bushings that should work well for a long time if lubed up good.

All in all for $20 you can't go wrong. It took me about three hours to dissassemble and install a IW board in it and figure out the potentiometer in the front servo case.

The MINI Z MONSTER GARAGE will be doing a four link suspension system on this truck in the near future as well as figuring out the servo saver problem. The little truck has lots of promise.

Here is a pic of the IW board mounted with sticky foam to the inside of the top cover, the original board sat on top of the chassis with a small secondary board with the FETs sitting down inside the chassis

Here you can see the articulation without shocks attached

here the SSMT chassis (foreground) and the MZM chassis (background) show similarities...the SSMT is just a tad (1/4 inch) longer than the MZM, it is also a tad (1/4 inch) wider.

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album

Last edited by DogbreathRacing; 2005.10.18 at 07:55 AM.
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote