View Single Post
Old 2010.11.22, 03:56 PM   #7
pedrocamp
Ain'tSoldEm

The first season of the Carolina Cup is over and I want to congratulate all who competed in and organized the events. Our first year for this inter-club championship went remarkably well, there were problems and controversies for sure but we managed to resolve them all and I think the 2011 Championship will be better in organization and competition with all that we have learned. I also think I speak for both our groups when I say thanks to Landon and Mike, the impetus behind this championship… initially a way to join two local groups, High Speed and MBMZR, in “friendly” competition. Both our groups obviously benefitted from the increased cooperation. We were proud to see interest and participation from outside our two clubs.

It is tough in both the current economy and popularity of off road racing to attract new racers to our small scale. Those that look past the perceived high entry cost will find highly competitive racing with little running cost and low maintenance time. I raced 1/10th touring car for a few years and eventually had to quit due to the rising running costs of the class and high maintenance time clashing with family responsibilities. 1/28th scale racing fits my budget/time and definitely satisfies my love of racing. I also believe small scale racing sharpens the reflexes and makes you a better driver in the larger scales. Just as many Formula 1 and Indycar drivers use karts to train, Mini Z-1/28th scale racing is a great way to improve your larger scale skills. Anyway, I hope all that raced in the 2010 Cup will want to compete again next year and also be active in their local club racing. I hope there will be an increase in participation from new racers as well as racers from larger scales. I think that is the goal of the Carolina Cup.

Thanks to Jim, Vicky and Casey of High Speed for letting us take over the place. We appreciate your continued support of our favorite scale and our championship; you provide a great home for our club! While quarters can get tight for these large events you make everyone feel welcome and stock a great selection of Mini Z kits and parts.

After being involved as a partial organizer in a couple of these events I have developed a high respect for Landon of MBMZR abilities as a race organizer. It is not easy to organize even our relatively small events, he seems to do it with ease while also competing in the event. He does though sacrifice his own race effort to make sure that even the events at High Speed go off smoothly, helps sort out the timing system, etc… while his competitors are making laps of the track during practice times…. and he still runs well! Thanks to Myssie for being our race director, she kept us on schedule and did a great job calling the races. Thanks to Chad from MB for helping with timing and scoring as well.

Thanks of course to our sponsors throughout the year! There were many, more than I can remember right now but all were sincerely appreciated. Reflex Racing in particular really supported us with awesome prizes for all four races and their contribution bolstered by the participation of Matt and EMU, two of RR’s team drivers. They are great ambassadors for the team and the scale, very approachable, knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks guys! Our local racer Jay and his company Vasquez Painting supplied some great prizes for this race… featuring a battery powered Dremel, a cool pit light and shop clock., things every racer needs for his pit and home work space! Thanks Jay! Wade stepped up with a free Mini Z paint job won by one of our Sportsman racers I believe! Thanks Wade! Thanks to PN racing everyone in existence now has a car stand! A very happy spectator walked away with a new Golf Readyset, thanks to tinyRC! We hope he starts racing with us soon. Please see our previous event threads from HS and MB and make note of our other sponsors (MantisWorx, JB, Vann&Sheridan), they are again greatly appreciated .

I most want to thank all the racers who participated. I had a great time racing with you and really look forward to next season. Not only is the racing fast and fun, it’s great to be able to do something so enjoyable with a bunch of good friends.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2010.11.22 at 06:40 PM.
pedrocamp is offline   Reply With Quote