View Single Post
Old 2002.01.10, 09:47 PM   #1
Justin

Send a message via ICQ to Justin
Exclamation Mini Z vs Colt Mini

Hi All~!
I am a proud owner of a Kyosho Mini Z but have just purchased another Mini R/C but this time it's made by Colt. The Colt as a stock car has separated the the radio gear into different sections instead of Kyosho (Ko Propo's) speed control board + servo motor running off the same board. Colt's version is different in that it runs an Mini ESC, Mini Servo, and Mini Reciever.

The Colt as a stock car already has these parts which are optional parts on the Kyosho:
Carbon Fibre Chassis, Carbon Fibre Rear Plate, Heat Sink, Stablilizer Set, Front Shock Set, Ball Diff. Set, with a Polycarbonate Body Painted (but not as well as the Kyosho, also minus the DIY sticker job).

And the Mini Z - well - we all own one already so no need to mention it.

My question is WHY is the COLT SO CHEAP COMPARED to the Kyosho? The Colt as is stock is $180AUSD and the Mini Z stock is $280AUSD? The Colt runs a more stable wheelbase setting like the road cars - front 75mm and rear 80mm, where as the Kyosho's front and rear wheel are of the same width (also with a better placement of on board radio gear with the batteries on the bottom of the chassis to improve stablility instead of having them on the side like the Kyosho). Overall the Colt is much more refined than the Kyosho Mini and has cheaper optional parts which do exactly the same job as the Kyosho parts which are at a higher market price and are made from the same place?

I have compared them (I have a Colt and a Mini Z myself), with the following modifications on either car:

Kyosho Mini Z
*Ball Bearing Set
*Rear Shock Plate
*X-Speed Motor

Colt Mini
*Ball Bearing Set
*X-Speed Motor

But the Colt takes off faster on the acceleration, has a higher top end speed, has better stablility overall on any track surface either it be carpet or pavement, and is also of a larger scale (1/24) where as the Kyosho is of (1/27~1/28). The Colt's optional parts are at least an 1/4 of the price of the Kyosho optional parts - ie: rear shock. The Colt's rear shock costs $6AUSD and the Kyosho's rear shock set costs $45AUSD.

I think Kyosho has some serious explaining to do for the price of their Mini Z parts and Items although I'm proud owner of a Mini Z but have no idea WHY they cost so much compared to the Colt pricewise and performance wise. I hope some of you will follow me in purchasing what I discovered and found to be of a better standard than the Kyosho Mini Z (not that I am knocking the Mini Z in any way since I have one and like the damn thing).

In total my fully upgraded Colt cost me $210 AUSD. I've added:
*Full Ball Bearings
*Colt modified Motor
*Rear Shock Set
*Hard Springs
and with the previous stock parts - ie carbon fibre parts.

My Kyosho is at least $400AUSD. And I've only added:
*Full Ball Bearings
*X-Speed Motor
*Nylon Wheel Nuts
*Rear Shock Set
*Spring Set

I think Kyosho has some serious explaining to do for us owner of Mini Z racers. This message is in no way to offend Kyosho but they are seriously overpricing their items...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote