View Single Post
Old 2012.11.26, 11:52 AM   #14
imxlr8ed

I had a custom X-speed in a Chili can for one of the races a while back and it (the Honda) was still planted, no spin-out whatsoever. The PN tires were a bit newer then but I also ran it with some K20s that day too and it didn't do it then either.

If you're spinning on throttle, there'd be a few things I would go to first:

1. Diff tension. I tune the tension so there is just enough to get the car moving along with a tiny touch of slip in the diff.

2. Diff condition. Has it been cleaned out lately? I was never a fan of re-building/cleaning diffs but now it's just something I do after ever day of racing and it does help.

3. Side plates. I'm a fan of backing out the middle screws anywhere from 1 to 3 turns out from tight. And also alternating from one side to the other.

4. Bind-ups. I'd check that the rear is getting a full range of motion without smashing motor wires or hanging up on the body anywhere. I'm always surprised how this just always seems to come up. I had that Ferrari for a while now and was amazed how I never noticed the interference between the bottom edge of the body and the forward corners of the motor mount!

5. Front-end bind up. Make sure your front suspension is articulating smoothly and evenly side to side. Stainless kingpins are your best first step towards this but I have polished stock pins and acheived the same effect.

6. Gearing. With a mod motor especially, the taller gear will take the edge off but may make your car reach out-of control speeds at the end of a 25' straightaway. For a stock 48 pitch, the 9 tooth was always my default for any motor. I have switched to a 10 tooth for something like a Speedy07.

7. Tires. This could be one of the first things to check, but finding the right tires for a particular car is a bit of a crap-shoot. Both of my F1s have a completely different tire combo, but they both run the same.

8. Radio. End-points dialed right? Throttle curve nice and smooth? I'm back on my steering curves for both of my F1s, somewhere around a -30 curve on them. I always adjust my end-points to what is required for the tightest turn on the track... more throw than you need is just pointless. My current turning radius on my RCP from the wall is out to around a tile and a half.

Hope this helps!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2012.11.26 at 12:00 PM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote