View Single Post
Old 2012.07.17, 01:28 PM   #4
Fovea3d

Hi Arch,

Thank you for your comments.

Front splitter: I decided not to include front splitters on my designs because people often complain about splitters beeing catched under track rails. It would hold well with some flexibility at normal thickness (0.8mm) but would be even more rigid at 1 or 1.5mm. On the Daytona Prototype I experimented with an "inner splitter" (to make the nose boxy).

The tail lights were modeled just like the real ones but are flush with the body. Maybe a joint should be added? But with a correct masking the painted result would be close to original (without a joint).

Well it is the wheel arches that are exagerated to achieve the given offset (0F/0R being the narrower for MR02/03)
The cabin itself is true to the original, this is why it gives this effect. With true wings proportions it would have been a MR015/03 narrow.
And you know that I prefer correct overal proportions over x or y or z distortions

Sure, I started making a separate wing with the DP, mostly because I realized thet the body section under the wing and around the pillars is horrible to sand and finish. I need to edit all my cars that have wings, to come up with a standard pillar spacing and mounting holes similar to aftermarket wings. But thats even more work to add to the list

Yes the body is off center. I tried a new side clip design with a reinforcment rib to make it stronger and less prone to unlock, but this rib now touches the battery case and prevents the clip from locking completely.

For my part I noticed a few things:

The rear needs to be lowered 1 or 2 mm.
The front needs to be raised 1mm to clear the wheel arches (normal tires touch slightly with compressed suspensions and with MR02). EDIT: I will raise the wheel arch instead, the stance is just too nice currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
looking good!

my only comments would be the following:
-does printing the front splitter present a durability issue for the material?
-can the rear tail light seems be ever so slightly exaggerated similar to the front headlight lenses?
-would ever so slightly widening the car body/cabin itself distort proportions in a less pleasing way vs. the exaggerated wheel arches in order to achieve 0 offset narrow and wide wheels? the front looks narrow in comparison to how it looks on the race car, particularly where the front bumper turns back to the wheel arch.
-is it possible to have the wing printed as an accessory to be attached like any other aftermarket wing? while i like the factory race car look, i'm sure other may cut it off to replace with atomic/reflex or pn wings. wonder even if reflex/pn/atomic wing hole spacing is the same? could be awsome to have standard mounting holes but again, people have preferences on how wings are mounted as well.
is your diff off center or is the car? looks like +.5 could fit on one side and -1 on the other.
My mini-z collection

Last edited by Fovea3d; 2012.07.17 at 02:06 PM.
Fovea3d is offline   Reply With Quote