View Single Post
Old 2011.04.07, 10:06 AM   #3
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
It definitely sounds like you need to shim the diff. If I remember correctly there is enough room to shim in the 3Racing setup. What I try to do is first put as many shims as I can install on one side of the diff (push the diff spur away from the driveshaft pinion), just to see how many sheems you will need to work with. You dont want to bind up the rotation of the diff. After you know how much shimming you can get away with, install the shims on the side to push the spur into the pinion, and install the remaining ones on the other side. It takes some time to get right, but you dont want to have a tight mesh or loose mesh. I dont like the diff to have much play, less than a millemeter movement side to side, if there is no freedom of movement, you may be binding the drivetrain. Too much, and your gear mesh will be inconsistent. The sweet spot is when the mesh is just a little loose, but you dont have any clicks or slippage. This will allow the car to roll a little more off throttle, and get better runtime/more speed.

Last edited by EMU; 2011.04.07 at 10:08 AM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote