View Single Post
Old 2013.01.28, 06:22 PM   #3
blt456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
I'd like to follow up and let you know we had the chance to run these new transponders at our last race. They came in about half the weight of the original (even lighter than the giro-z as well I believe).

One racer had replaced his tires mid-race and was traction rolling on the new set. After replacing his transponder with the smaller unit, it stopped. To be fair, we'll all scratching our heads if 1.0 to 1.5 grams less weight on the top of the chassis could make this much of a difference but it was worth stating either way. This racer runs the less common Corvette body but if a lower center a gravity is king... this would make difference.

Any mathematicians care to take a crack at the effects of removing 1.5 grams from a 180g car from the top?
I doubt that the new transponder is what stopped the traction rolling. The racer's tires probably weren't broken in when the old transponder was used. The 1.5g savings is only .83% of the total car's mass.

However, the new transponder looks significantly smaller than the previous version, which is a good thing!
blt456 is offline   Reply With Quote