View Single Post
Old 2015.05.20, 05:59 PM   #20
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshwaa View Post
While I agree with the words of caution, I don't see how enhancing the power supply alone will solve the FET heating issue. Perhaps my suggestion should have been to purchase a higher power ESC for the higher power motor, rather than do surgery on the existing ESC. My procedure would have been to take the cells out of the equation and hook it up to a DC power supply and see if the heat issue still exists. I understand that option isn't there for most folks, so if batteries are all you have then you may have to include enhancing them as well, regardless of the FET heating issue. After all, you did double the demand of your motor, so you should double the 'fuel' too.

However, whatever you do is up to you and the decision should include your personal skill level and whatever desire you would have to find out for yourself whether or not you can get away with adding $3 worth of components to your existing, or if there are other design considerations within the brushless drives 'other than FET throughput' that are causing your heat issue. I myself haven't dissected the brushless systems to know if the KV value of the motors only include the turns of wire, or if there are programmed timing differences built into the motors that the drives have to be aware of. This could be a learning experience for me, if not for the group. Whatever you do, please share.
I think this is more of a motor issue rather then a fet issue. I have experienced ve motors overheating and breaking and the ve fets stand up to some abuse. So rather then take chances only to have to replace a 120 board I think getting a new motor ans some good batteries is a much better option. Not everyone has the skills to first know which fets would be correct for the ve (I do not even know) or the skills to put them on right without blowing the board. I have personally blown more than my fair shair of boards doing fet swaps before I became better at it and most newbs and average racers I know don't have the skill or the need to swap fets so that is usually the last recomendation I would give. Just trying to be helpful as I have made mistakes before that were pretty expensive and I would not wish those same mistakes on anyone else
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote