View Single Post
Old 2009.03.30, 09:54 AM   #32
CristianTabush

Philip sent me out a suspension to evaluate.
So far these are my impressions:

-It is a bit complicated of a build. It requires advanced building knowledge to assemble it correctly, lots of parts. In the end, it looks very nice though.
-The pivot balls are a bit tight of a fit. I had to spend a couple of hours polishing away to get the binding out of the suspension. I suggested to Philip to use a delrin ball in the future instead of stainless steel so that it is easier to break in and there is less friction on the suspension. Delrin on aluminum is a lot better than stainless on aluminum.
-Due to the large amount of parts, it also has a lot more slop than a regular front end. This might take away a little bit of the precision of the car. I have not driven it though.
-Even though Grant feels a wide track is not necessary, I disagree. Results speak for themselves. The wide track has won and is winning almost every event it enters. It makes the car more consistent and easier to drive at speed, the car has better feedback to the driver with less scrub. It is not always about making the fastest individual lap time car, but rather the one that can run on the track the quickest over an average of 10 minutes. Look at F1 this weekend. Nico Rosberg had the quickest lap of the race. He was never in contention for first place. Look at Jenson, destroyed the competition, but did not have the fastest lap.
-Camber gain is nice. It should provide more consistent and increased middle of the corner front grip, as well as absorb the imperfections of the track better. The question is, will these changes benefit more than the downsides on the car? I will start doing the testing tomorrow at the track. The lap record so far is 6.41 with an MR-02. We will see what we can do and I will keep you posted...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote