View Single Post
Old 2001.12.30, 10:50 AM   #7
jcostantino

Ok, here's a quick explination in mini-z terms:

Toe in/out: This is how wide the steering tie-rod is. If the bar is wider, it pushes the back of the steering knuckles apart which causes the tires to angle in like this: /---\ (viewed from the top). If you have toe-in, it will give you stability in the straights but make turning corners slightly harder because the wheel on the inside of the turn can't turn as much because of the larger bar (I believe 2 and 3 degree toe-in are available). I have the 2 degree bar on my Z and the straight stability is worth the consequent minor ammount of oversteer.

Camber: This is the relationship between the angles of the kingpins if viewed from the front. Negative camber would look like this: /---\ and if it were adjustable, would allow your Z's tire a flatter outside contact patch of the tire. Since the tires are only 1/2" wide, I really doubt camber adjustments would make any difference.

Caster: This is the relationship betwen how far forward or backward on the kingpin the wheel axle is. If it is further forward (positive) it will be easier to keep the wheels going straight but will be harder to turn the steering. This also can't be adjusted.

I would assume that it could be possible to make custom caster knuckles and maybe machine a front bulkhead to accept custom camber kingpins. Most likely it would be expensive and unlikely to cause a significant handling improvement over stock.

Jeff