View Single Post
Old 2011.10.17, 02:56 PM   #18
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
i know, its probably all too late now, but wouldn't it be good to have a web/browser app instead of a app designed and written for the iphone?

that way it would work on ipad/iphone/android/winphone/windows/linux at the same time.

EDIT: does the flipside software have a programming interface of some sort so it can be controlled remotely?
It is something I originally considered but dismissed for 2 primary reason. First is it creates a potential single point of failure. I could create a robust app with redundancy and pay additional money to various vps/hosting providers or clod infrastructure providers to minimize the possibility of downtime to elimante this concern.

The second concern was security, the website would act as a relay and so I would need to be very certain about the security otherwise someone could torment other people through stopping and starting races.

Since programming is just a hobby for me I did not want to take on those responsibilities.

What I have done instead is made it so the phone communicates directly with the computer. You do not have to have internet access but the phone and computer do need to be able to communicate using a network. The main drawbacks with this approach are that you have to know the ip of the computer to communicate and it may be possible that a firewall could block communication.

I have not submitted the code into the main trunk yet but when I do there someone could create their own program for controlling the computer. It is a really simple protocol so far.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote