View Single Post
Old 2011.09.21, 09:25 AM   #1
hrdrvr
MBMZR

MBMZR hosting event - 11/05/2011

REFLEX RACING is now sponsoring this event!
PN Racing is now sponsoring this event too!
J.B R/C is now on the sponsor list!
Chick-fil-A is now donating as well!

That's right guys MBMZR is hosting it's first event of the year! We are having a late start this year, but it's going to be a special race. This will be at Myrtle Beach's brand new premier Mini Racing facility LET's Go Racing!, which is located at Myrtle Beach Mall. It will be on a layout similar to what has made MBMZR popular with elevations, track curbing, and custom rail liners, along with other special treats we've taken from ideas at other tracks. The main difference is that with the space we have at the new facility, the track will be bigger than ever! Who knows, you may even see some blank tiles on the straight

This is going to be a special event for us at MBMZR, as this is a very special day for us, and me personally. The friends I have made in this hobby are what has given me so much enjoyment, and the drive to continue even when times were tough. It's not just a race event for me, but a very big "kick-off" event for my new endeavor, and I hope to share it with all the friends I have made in this wondrous hobby!

I will run 3 classes, with the possibility of a fourth. The possible class is a novice class directed at beginners, kids, and lower skilled racers. The rules will be very loose, as I want there to be a place for every one to feel comfortable racing. I will run this class as long as we have four participants. The main three classes will be Can Am 1 (basically an ll out mod class with prototype bodies, lexan included), GT1 (modified GT cars), and Kyosho Stock. The stock class will allow only very limited upgrades to make it easy form one to buy a car, and race it competitively. Detailed rules are to follow in the next post.

Pit space will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Spacing and electricity is ample, but you may want to bring supplemental lighting, a pit mat, and a power strip. The store will be locked at night, so those who want to leave their stuff Friday night can. It will be in a public mall during operating hours, so it is "at your own risk". We will do our best to watch it, and I am sure there will be racers there until we close, but it just isn't as secure as our facilities have been in the past. Hours of practice and a race schedule will be posted shortly.

We recently built and tested new elevations/transitions at our CFI location. I can say they are much more smooth than the ones we used in the past. We used metal framing this time instead of plywood, with a plywood topping, instead of the foam. They are a bit heavier, but in the end it is worth it, as they sit flatter, and we were able to mold the actual transition much better. For a point of reference, here is the last layout we ran as a test layout with these at CFI. The new store will have more space for a similar, but bigger layout, and I have some thoughts that will make it different than anything else I've ever done!

And as a little teaser, here is a shot of where the new track will be. Of course the store is rather bare now, but construction is under way!

PRICING:
15 and under are free with a paying adult, or half price without an adult.
For Adults it will be $20 for the first class, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
Transponders will be available for rent for an additional $5, or you can use the house transponders and turn them in after each race.

Friday night practice will be discounted from our normal rate (for event participants only). It'll be $5 for 2 hours, or $10 for the day. Again 15 and under is free with a paying adult. Transponders will be available for rent as well.

SCHEDULE:
Friday, we will be open from 10am til 9pm. The track layout will be put down on Thursday night, so it will be available all day Friday for practice.

Like a typical MBMZR event we are going to try and keep a fast pace for the race day. This allows us some leeway when things don't go according to plan (for racers and the host), and also allow a lot of travelers to save on hotel rooms for Saturday night.

This is just a projected schedule. It will vary from this on race day, as I still don't know the exact heat counts or number of participants, but this should be a very good estimate.

7:00 - 9:50 - Free Practice
10:00-10:15 - Drivers meeting
10:15-11:45 - Qualifying Round 1 (Sorted Random)
11:45- 1:15 - Qualifying Round 2 (Reshuffled)
1:30 - 3:00 - Qualifying Round 3 (Reshuffled again)
3:30 - 5:30 - Mains

The mains will be longer than the Qualifiers so will need to be run at a frantic pace. I will remind you on race day, but please have plenty of batteries ready, and start your planning now of when and how to charge them. People running all the classes will have a bit of pressure on them during this stage, especially if they end up bumping up in the mains. The pace of qualifying will determine the length of the practice session before the mains. If we finish early, then we have more time for practice and food arrangements. The food court, is a fairly short walk, and if scheduling permits, a group food pick up could be arranged. There are other food options pretty close by outside of the mall, but of course, I would prefer you guys support my new neighbors, and buy mall food

See below for more details, and stay tuned for updates!!

LET's Go Racing!

Last edited by hrdrvr; 2011.10.31 at 04:02 PM.
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote