View Single Post
Old 2007.07.14, 01:02 AM   #9
rharris
that Orange car is fast..

Send a message via Yahoo to rharris
Just my $0.02...

Our club owns a core system and a giro-z system.

The core system has worked without incident for over a year. The Giro-z system is new to us, but also works flawlessly.

Loop/bridge size:

Core is 2 tiles only.

Giro Z comes with a 2 tile or 3 tile setup.

Advantage: Giro-z

Interference:

Core is RFID - it doesn't like metal. It also can cause a small glitch when driving over the loop. Not a big deal. Just put the loop in a strait when the glitch appears.

Giro-z is IR - if you are outside under the bright sun, you have to shade the bridge. If the bridge is too big you can loose line of sight to the car. Again, no big deal, strategic placement of the bridge is key. Ours is custom made from 1/2 inch aluminum.

Transponders:

Here's the biggest diff IMHO and the reason we picked up a Giro-Z.

Core - cool idea. Driver data is stored on the transponder. Each driver has his/her own transponder for the event. Easy to register to race. Just show up, scan the car and you're ready. "Place and race". Down side, Each driver needs his/her own transponder. Try running a race with 50 guys. You have to pre-buy the transponders and hope they all get purchased from you.

Giro-z. club transponders. You only need enough for the amount of cars on the track. On a small track, you only need 3. We have 10. Up side, no limit to the number of drivers in an event. Down side, drivers have to install transponder before each heat and return them. No big deal, connection wires are installed on car. Transponder Velcros to car.

Advantage: Depends on your club.

Software:

Tough one: Core's is pretty good, and I don't have Lap-z completely figured out yet. I'm still on the fence, but so far I like what I see with Lap-z. I hear a new English manual is on the way.

Advantage: Giro-Z? Still looking into it, but I like lap-z so far.

Price:

Price between core and giro is about the same depending on how you look at transponders. Remember, you don't need personal transponders with Giro-Z.

Support:

Core - They are still around, but I don't know of a dedicated reseller that you can bug when you have an issue. This forum is usually the best support out there rite now. Maybe Kyosho will pick them up...

Giro-z. Both Kenon and Atomic resell state side. You can get either on the phone (Kenon = Skype) and ask questions. if they don't know, they will but the Giro-z guys.

Bottom Line:

You just have to decided what you want to do. If it's a few guys, then both are an option and the core system may be the best for you. But if you want to run a large race, or you have a high turnover of club drivers, then in my opinion Giro-z has the advantage.

Just my $0.02.

Come Race with us!!! Club Pics
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote