View Single Post
Old 2013.02.01, 06:16 PM   #291
gctkaz

Unfortunately installing the Mini-Z servo into a Firelap AWD is going to be a very non-trivial exercise. The Mini-Z servo controller is integrated onto the main board with 5 wires to the motor and potentiometer, while AFAICT the Firelap AWD uses a discrete servo with standard 3-wire JR connector.

If you have ever taken apart a Z, you will notice that the servo is an open assembly specifically spaced to fit the Mini-Z chassis. It's unlikely that you'll be able to fit the gears into the Firelap even if you manage to swap the pot and motor onto the Firelap's servo controller. I expect you might have further trouble fitting a servo horn and saver.

Anyway by your request I made a video to compare my MA-010 RA-19 servo against the Hitec HS-55. The comparison is a bit sloppier this time since I had to work two radios at once, but there is still a noticeable speed difference. But this still helps me to get an idea of how much faster the RS32 steering needs to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wAH1fturJo

Your best bet with the Firelap is to get someone who has one to measure all the dimensions with calipers, and then go hunting for the fastest discrete micro servo you can find that fits the dimensions. You should try to aim for something below 0.10s/60degrees@4.8V... at least that's what I'm aiming for with the RS32!
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote