View Single Post
Old 2010.01.06, 03:45 AM   #12
Felix2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
I understand what you are saying. If I use a thicker enamel wire would that compensate for it?

-Jer
Most definitely

The thing is, you can only go up a step i gauge, like say from 31gauge to 30 gauge, because you will run into problems fitting the winding on the armature cleanly. My buddy Flashsp-2 (Ouch, my foot!.... dropping names) has done sick patterns and I believe he fit a 43t single-patern-wind using 28-29gauge on an Auldey armature. Again, all manufacturers use parts that I don't know what brand/manufacturer they use, and this comes into play also. You mainly need to see what works by trial & error. But what I've said is basically a good ballpark estimate to start.

Also, if you are just winding the arm with no consideration to the pattern, you might be able to fit a few more winds on the arm (Just look at the PN 38t machine-wound arms, they use wicked-thick gauge and are stuffed to the max). But then again, a good pattern usually makes better use of available arm space. Now that I think about it some, You could start with a pattern-wind, then fill up the rest of the open space using any available space there is for max winds/armature.
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote