View Single Post
Old 2012.01.14, 10:18 PM   #32
bermbuster
GF Racing

I want to use the motor pod as an example. Kyosho is the originator. The stock pod is plastic. You must use shims to adjust mesh and everything snaps together. Not the best because it will wear out from changing t plates, motor heat,swaps and lubrication. Not to mention your limited to what Disc damper/top shock you can use.
Now PN comes along and makes a pod that is easy to adjust mesh (requires the use of a motor can with tapped holes), It is aluminum (strong, lightweight, dissipates heat) Along with the pod they make a series of motors that have tapped holes. Time passes and Kyosho releases an aluminum motor pod that cradles the motor (no mounting holes) and snaps together.
What I see is the manufacturer is trying to appeal to a different way of doing things. They did not copy the PN design. Im not sure who made the first aftermarket pod but even the other aftermarket companies use there own designs.
Now PN keeps evolving the pod by making components more adjustable.
Doing these upgrades cost money. Not to mention the initial design.
Now along comes brand x they most likely sent a PN pod to a company who reverse engineered it and produces it for them. There cost to do this was minimal. This is where the word ETHICAL comes to mind. You can justify it however you like but in plain English....its a rip off. I like how some people say if its cheaper Ill buy it. WOW with that logic if somebody would do your job for less money....how would you feel about losing it...
Look at what PN does for the mini z community. First they make products that make mini z more fun, easier to drive, faster and hold world records....
Next look at there pricing,dealer network and customer service.
Brand X says he has a monopoly forcing his dealers to business a certain way. Look what PN does for its dealers. He provides a Worldwide racing series every year. If a dealer has a race program PN supports the programs with prizes and discounted motors. PN sponsors drivers worldwide and those drivers help the mini z community at local, national and world events.
There is a saying in racing.....what wins on Sunday...sells on Monday...
Believe me the shops I frequent sell out of the HOT parts quickly....
It seems like a monopoly to some but I dont see any other manufacturer providing these services.
What is funny Kyosho and Atomic both have special classes that only allow there hop ups.....PN doesnt
Right now PN is sponsoring a race series that hss a class that uses no hop ups....
You want to keep seeing mini zs evolve and grow.....do the ETHICAL thing