View Single Post
Old 2018.12.02, 02:20 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
If you can find an Levitezer front end source, I would be interested in getting one... It combines the effect of an anti roll bar with some of the smoothest "spring" action that I have felt with a mini-z. While it is somewhat restricted to the wide configuration, I think that it is one of the best systems that has been available for the mini-z. It is very consistent, and produces a lot of front end traction with low body roll, and requires little dampening.

That said, each front end setup has its ups and downs. Having been a Reflex driver, I have driven their front end for quite some time. The adjustable camber and caster is definitely a plus, but availability is not. x-power has a similar front end upper tower, with a little more customization, but is about as expensive as the PN if not more once you add everything together. They have a lower a-arm upgrade, which requires use of their kingpins and knuckles which lock onto the kingpin via grub screw.

The PN double a-arm produces more traction than many other front end configurations, and has less camber gain. This can be beneficial for higher traction surfaces where you want to remove understeer but want to keep the car from flipping. While I do not deem this a necessary part, many often claim that it is. I havent used it on an 03, but have plenty of time with use on an 02. Racing for Reflex during the 03 time period, I primarily used their parts, therefore did not use the PN front end.

I prefer to keep my front ends relatively simple. My most common front end is a stock upper tower with Kyosho inner tube dampers. This is relatively light weight, and offers the ability to adjust preload on the springs which is not possible on the standard springs. I reverse the kingpins, so that the knuckle moves with the kingpin, and produces no stiction. I find this front end configuration works at many locations, and is inexpensive. While there is no caster or camber options, you can combine it with an upper tower bar to give you that adjustment, and knuckles for the camber. Adjusting the height of the tower and the shims under and above the knuckle will give you the ability to tune the camber gain and then adjust the preload of the front springs to adjust the droop.