View Single Post
Old 2019.05.06, 01:36 AM   #2
art4242

Thanks for starting the discussion Brian.

A couple of thoughts:

2. Motors: It would be good to keep the 5500kV option as a separate class. It provides more of a challenge for those of us used to higher speeds and can make use of it, as well as being easier on batteries and not having to extract every ounce of speed from the 3500kV/70T combo. (and not have Grant complain about "snail speed" .

3. Added chassis: All of the other chassis run lithium batteries, probably not going to be able to match well speed wise with 3500kV/70T on NiMH. They could be their own open class. Another idea would be to throw them in with the 5500kV motors, make that an entirely open class (battery, motor, and chassis). That could nicely self limit itself to a manageable 3500kV lithium or 5500kV NiMh combo just based on the small track sizes.

4. ESC: I'm thinking this should just be open and all inclusive. I've driven cars with an ASF (brushed), PN Spektrum (brushed), VE-PRO, EVO, the PN separate ESC, a separate HobbyWing ESC, and none of them have any significant advantage especially with the open FET rule.

5. Even with a 3500kV motor, lithium is going to be significantly faster than a 70T/3500kV NiMH. One possibility for lithium would be to include 3500kV lithium as part of the 5500kV NiMH class. On a larger track with open gearing the 3500kV/lithium is going to be faster, but on a smaller HFAY track with reduced gearing they could be pretty close (I can experiment with this on the next HFAY layout).

Something mentioned previously by Blaine in having different metadata available that I think would be great would be to have a few separate classes, but be able to post and rank results sorted in various combinations.

For example one set of rankings would be everyone in all classes. Another ranking would be 3500kV/70T NiMH only. Another ranking could be 5500kV/50T NiMH only. Another could lithium only...etc. That way most could run what they want, still feel like they are competing with others, but be able to separate out their particular "class" ranking.

Last edited by art4242; 2019.05.06 at 02:18 PM.
art4242 is offline   Reply With Quote