View Single Post
Old 2013.10.29, 11:01 AM   #22
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-HH View Post
Track test is finished. Works as expected. In 99.9% of all collisions with the side walls of the RCP track the car did not get stuck under it. I am not sure if more height would help to eliminate the missing 0.1%. Overall protection seems to be very good. No severe crashes with other cars (although this is good), so no experience on this topic.

For a future product release idea: a rear bumper to attach to the wing mount to prevent other cars from contacting wheels or differential shaft when getting hit from behind?
Thought of that, but then if the rear wheels are protected, it really wouldn't be open wheel racing then... would it? I can do this but I think it kills the energy of it when you can just bash the guy ahead of you and not worry about going airborne... might as well be running Racers then.

The goal with the rear wing was to protect the gear diff and get a bit more downforce. I guess I could add some rear tire protection to that, or maybe just a stand-alone system that would be at the UID front wing/bumper height? Either way, the UID rear wing (in concert with the UID front wings) does help protect the rear tires somewhat... certainly more than the stock wings do.

I had a member ask for a bit more height as well, I was thinking I could create a version that is a bit more DIY so racers can wittle to their own specifications. I tested a few heights before I ended up where it is now. I didn't want it to be forgiving of every mistake, bad driving should not be forgiven! Largest goal was to prevent the mid-backstretch rail sticks that would inevitably lead to a high speed, part exploding collision. I can say for our club, it cut those down tremendously! I remember having to order all kinds of parts for our F1s just to keep them running... that is no longer an issue.

All ideas are heard! Stuff will be coming soon... I will update when it all gets rolling again!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2013.10.29 at 11:04 AM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote