View Single Post
Old 2018.11.05, 03:37 PM   #50
tommy_greeneyes

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I just got home and settled down from the race. What a blast that was.

We had a good turnout, with 14 racers, all of which participated in the Kyosho Stock class. Saw some new faces, which is great to see.

The layout was flowing, with a couple good technical sections.

I decided to drive brushless cars going into this race, and drove a 3500kv in each of the three classes. In modified, I decided to give the GL-Racing GLR a shot with 2S lipo. The car feels a little too light for me, but drove more consistently than I had anticipated. I think with around 15g more, the car could be more planted and generate more traction.

I used my Eneloop cells for the AAA NIMH classes, and felt that they did adequately. I wasnt the fastest car on the track with my AAA cars, but I felt that the speed was good enough to focus on the racing rather than cell voltage.

Tommy set up a good track layout, and GIHOSU ran the show like a champ. The timing system was not perfect, but was leaps and bounds better than the previous race.

As for the races... In 70 comp, Tommy got out to a small lead, and got a little gap. Then, there was an error on his part, and I got by... We ended up battling for almost half of the race, trading the lead a few times before he slowly started edging away from me. I pushed harder, and just ran out of talent and he earned a safe margin to take home the victory.

In modified, I got a good start and passed and had some aggressive passes to gain the lead early on. I didnt expect it to last long, knowing the pace and consistency advantage that the AWD cars had over the 2wd. If the track rubbered in a little more, that difference would tighten up. Tommy passed me and just paced away steadily. I tried to push the GLR, and lap times went away. Then I tried driving the car light and steady, and started finding pace again late in the race. The more I thunderfooted the throttle, the more speed that I lost coming out of the corners.

In Kyosho Stock, which was the most competitive class of the show... I found myself with an early lead, and paced accordingly. I knew that my brushless car was down on top speed a little to the brushed cars, so I just focused on hitting my marks, and not losing any time unnecessarily. After the first minute of smooth sailing, I noticed a red Sauber chasing me down the straight. Dwight had started catching me, gaining a few feet each run down the straight. I started trying to tighten my line to defend, but he could sail past me around the sweeper after the straight. I knew that I needed to work the infield as much as possible, and I took as aggressive of a line as I could to pass him back through the chicane and infield section after the sweeper. If he would get the lead on to the straight, I feared that he was going to gradually disappear into the distance. I put as much pressure on as I could, without contact. multiple laps in a row, he would pass me down the straight into the sweeper, and I would pass him into the infield... until he got into a little traffic, and zigged instead of zagged... and that gave me enough opportunity to get a comfortable gap and secure the victory.

All three races were very enjoyable. I really made Tommy work for the 70 comp race, and he held strong under immense pressure. Mod was a pleasant experience with new technology, and Kyosho Stock was a battle that I am still suffering effects of PTSD from due to its intensity.

Thanks for everyone who came and participated, and helped make this event a good success.
thank you EMU for the story line, and thank you GIHOSU for running the races, we need to get you on the track more,.we work on it next time.

The next race will be Jan 5 2019 working on new goodies