Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.06.28, 06:03 PM   #46
ruf
4play

Nightcargo - that's good to know. The side shim will tighten up the gear lash, but I've been trying to loosen the gear lash this whole time. I've got a mod that makes the car run MUCH freer. Will post soon.

byebye - I'm understanding now. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. There are some issues that are absolutely fatal with the MA010. Once those are addressed, the car becomes much less finicky.

In case anyone wants to know:

Fastest lap:
MR02: 11.67s
MA010: 11.44s
F1: 11.46s
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.29, 10:36 AM   #47
SaiTam
Are you Fetted?

For the lap times above, did your MR02 or F1 have upgraded FETs? The MA-010 maybe faster because it has 3010 FETs.
SaiTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.29, 10:41 AM   #48
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
MR02: 11.67s
MA010: 11.44s
F1: 11.46s
Any info on average lap times? That's what wins the race

Night Cargo, thanks for the info on the wheels, I may pick some up...
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.29, 11:38 AM   #49
briankstan

my only real complaint with the MA-010 is the cost involved with setting it up to race. There are more parts and pieces to buy to get it to run the same, or a little faster than the MR-02. Add that to the fact that it cost more up front and you have to add more to it, to get it in race trim, it defeats the purpose lots of people get into the Mini-z's. Great performance for a great price.

The MA-010 is great as play around or drift car right out of the box (with the right tires, of course) so it's a great car depending on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend on it.

from my experience

the MR-02 setup is $200 +/- (including the RTR)
the MA-010 setup is $300 + (including the RTR)
Old 2006.06.29, 01:31 PM   #50
ruf
4play

Saitam - the MR02 and the F1 were running 3004 FETs. The speed did not come from power, but the ability to put the power down. Once you address the issue of the MA010 losing out in corner speed, the car is just plain faster. Keep in mind that this is on a big track where the MR02 can stretch it's legs/drivetrain.

Spoon - I agree completely. But outright fastest lap shows the ability of the chassis. That being said, Cristian won his race with the MA010, the MR02 driver was in second place, and I won my F1 race. Cristian is just flat out a better driver than me and his lap times rarely rose into the 12's. I was in the mid-12's, and high-11's, and I just got lucky with an inch-perfect lap. Everything was neat and tidy on that lap. These times were recorded during races, not single-car time trials. Race management also played a role. A wreck costs me at least 2-3 seconds, and a lap or two to get my rhythym back. Unless I am defending or attacking, I will usually dial it down a notch.

briankstan - inflation is a @#$%&, ain't it! I have a customer that wants me to put together a basic racer package for the MA010. It should just be bearings, ball diffs, springs, tie rods, and tires. All in all, the MA010 isn't as hopup-intensive as people make it out to be. Want and need are two separate things altogether.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2006.06.29, 02:04 PM   #51
sciencemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
Nightcargo - that's good to know. The side shim will tighten up the gear lash, but I've been trying to loosen the gear lash this whole time. I've got a mod that makes the car run MUCH freer. Will post soon.
A couple of things... First i loosened my gear interaction by using a polisher on the back bearing holder. That opened up the bearing hole a bit. Then i slid the bearing over a hair and epoxied it back in. It seems that a fraction of an inch allows the drivetrain to spinn much smoother. No toothpaste as byebye said. I also put in the ceramic large diff bearings and driveline bearings. Much much smoother as well.

Secondly i tried out the screw pin holder. I like to keep the teeth of my pinion and spur not tight but a little on the loose side, so my spur would pop off in about 2 minutes of driving. After the screw fix (thanks nightcargo) there were no problems ever. Just remember to get your screw nice and close to the edge. Also, be very careful about stripping the spur gear screw hole the plastic is soft..

Lastly, Saitam, i think you are right about the fets... The larger fets allow less resistance and allow the 010 to get that torque it needs to speed out of those corners... We'll see when we start upgrading those 02's to 3010's. I think the biggest difference is that the 02 is a single purpose car and is designed to be raced out of the box, while the 010 is a dual purpose car race, drift, and is more OTB drift ready than anything else.
sciencemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.29, 04:09 PM   #52
ruf
4play

Just some more background info on the 3004 vs. 3010 FET issue. We have actually run tests back to back with a FET and a non-FET board MR02 with a non-FET motor in the hopes of getting rid of these silly FET classes. There is a small increase in punch with the 4562 FETs over the standard 3004. It is an advantage that a good driver can exploit, but nothing like the holeshots and the drive out of corners that you get with the AWD. This gap only gets bigger as you increase power.

I too was of the opinion that the MA010 was a basher's car when it came out. It definitely has its flaws, but its potential is impressing me more and more.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2006.06.29, 05:06 PM   #53
sciencemike

Hey ruf,

Whats the highest camber you have run on your awd's.. Sorry for the off topic.
sciencemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.30, 09:20 AM   #54
ruf
4play

I run the Kyosho plastic 1.5 degrees. Cristian runs the PN alloy 1.5 in the rear and 2.0 in the front I believe. We had an issue with the replaceable delrin sleeves for the PN knuckles last weekend. One worked its way off during a race. Needless to say the car handled like crap after that. We found the sleeve and glued it to the knuckle. Nice concept in the ability to replace the sleeves for maintenance, but they need to stay on a little better.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2006.06.30, 10:13 AM   #55
madf1man
Bogus nachos

I,ll post my opinions on the 98mm kit once I get it installed. hint hint
madf1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.30, 10:18 AM   #56
ruf
4play

I can drop it off to you this weekend if you would like. Too bad the track isn't open... hint hint.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2006.06.30, 10:28 AM   #57
madf1man
Bogus nachos

Sorry no track this weekend, I,ll be in the wind! Give me a call when your in town
madf1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.07.06, 03:07 PM   #58
Nightcargo

I got this thing working without grinding or slipping but it just sounds like crap. The mesh is just not right. I hope Atomics spurs are better, the PN alloy is top notch, but the spur is just junk. I'm thinking about trying out the MR02 so I can run 98mm stuff.
Nightcargo is offline   Reply With Quote