Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Setups

Old 2006.12.01, 11:53 PM   #1
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
94mm chassis w/ 98mm damper plate= better turning radius?

Alright guys, I've found something very odd. The testing I've been doing is at my house on wooden floors. When I first got my cars, I had an enzo plus another chassis that I used a 98mm damper plate on for temporary.

With the 98mm plate on the 94mm chassis, I get a pretty good turning radius. I just received my 3 racing DDS and I followed the setup for less rear grip to give me better turning ability(hard lower spring, soft top spring).

After installing it, I was hoping to have even better turning radius since this is the right DDS for my chassis. To my suprise, my turning raduis was almost twice as big. It was even harder for me to lose the backend when applying throttle. It was a good drift setup, but not for tight turns.(which i'm trying to get so I can take turns on an RCP track)

Anyone got an idea what I should look at to fix this? This is my setup for the rest of my car

*front springs- soft
*camber- 2 degree
*toe- +2 toe in?(not really sure, but its the longest tie rod I have. I think its kyosho)
*front tires- 20 degree rc kenon radial
*rear tires- 8 degree rc kenon radial
*GPM Ti ball diff
*bearings
*stock motor

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pinoyboy; 2006.12.01 at 11:57 PM.
pinoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.02, 02:16 PM   #2
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyboy
Alright guys, I've found something very odd. The testing I've been doing is at my house on wooden floors. When I first got my cars, I had an enzo plus another chassis that I used a 98mm damper plate on for temporary.

With the 98mm plate on the 94mm chassis, I get a pretty good turning radius. I just received my 3 racing DDS and I followed the setup for less rear grip to give me better turning ability(hard lower spring, soft top spring).

After installing it, I was hoping to have even better turning radius since this is the right DDS for my chassis. To my suprise, my turning raduis was almost twice as big. It was even harder for me to lose the backend when applying throttle. It was a good drift setup, but not for tight turns.(which i'm trying to get so I can take turns on an RCP track)

Anyone got an idea what I should look at to fix this? This is my setup for the rest of my car

*front springs- soft
*camber- 2 degree
*toe- +2 toe in?(not really sure, but its the longest tie rod I have. I think its kyosho)
*front tires- 20 degree rc kenon radial
*rear tires- 8 degree rc kenon radial
*GPM Ti ball diff
*bearings
*stock motor

Thanks in advance!
rcp is going to react WAAAAAY different than most other surfaces. If i were you, i'd review the threads MagicMan put together about tires, suspension, etc. They are good baseline tips from the best RC driver i've ever seen.

what h-plate are you using? is your diff set pretty tight?

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs

Last edited by builthatch; 2006.12.02 at 02:18 PM.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.02, 02:33 PM   #3
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
rcp is going to react WAAAAAY different than most other surfaces. If i were you, i'd review the threads MagicMan put together about tires, suspension, etc. They are good baseline tips from the best RC driver i've ever seen.

what h-plate are you using? is your diff set pretty tight?
I ran on RCP almost 2 weeks ago with the 98mm plate and I had a little understeer. At that time however, I had medium springs on the front. Now that I've changed to soft fronts, I get much better turn in.

So from what i'm getting at home, even turning radius, won't have the same effect on RCP?
Old 2006.12.02, 11:30 PM   #4
locwan

I assume you're using the same t-plate in your new setup.

Going to have stab at this, see if this fits with what you've described.

What you're experiencing might be due to this simple fact; when you use a 98mm dds on a 94mm setup, the travel of the rear end is highly restricted due to the offset of the dds plate (simple visual aid, try putting your finger in the middle of a glass and move around left to right, and try doing the same with your finger closer to upper edges of the diameter) thus rendering the rear end to act as if you've got on a harder t-pate at the back. All other things being the same, generally the harder the rear end, the less grip you'll have in the back when going out of a turn.

Once you've changed your dds to one that fits properly, the travel of you rear end might have freed up significantly, thus increasing the rear-end grip even though you've set it up to have less grip.

The easiest way to see if this is the case is to try on harder t-plates in the back and see if you'll see a decrease in the turning radius.
locwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.03, 02:42 PM   #5
pinoyboy

what your saying makes sense. The current setup already has my thickest H-plate. I think right now, I'm gonna keep it as is, and maybe later try to get as good as a setup with the 94mm plate
Old 2006.12.09, 09:48 AM   #6
NismoRocks

Send a message via AIM to NismoRocks
if you are trying to loosen up the rear a bit you might switch to a higher degree rear, because i feel that 8 degree is overdoing it quite a bit
mini lst: never working

http://mini-zracer com/mini-zgallery...00&ppuser=7456
NismoRocks is offline   Reply With Quote