Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.04.29, 03:34 PM   #46
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
not to totally disagree but the main object for all is not speed but consistency. i personally do not use anything more than 70t for mini-z and stock for dnano is more than enough for the size.
i have a mini-96 with expansion pack and find this to be plenty wide enough. it's not the wide open range you get with 50cm tiles but thats the point, to have more scale racing. i can put a mini-z on 3 wide tile track and you have the same effect, a huge expanse of track that takes away much of the skill building in my opinion.
there are places where 3 wide 30cm tiles is helpful and you can benefit from but overall, i don't like wide open tracks unless you have a gaggle of cars on the track and passing space is desired.

what is the fun or challenge in racing a dnano on a 12+ lane superhighway?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.29, 03:48 PM   #47
Rooster29

The happiest adults are the ones doing what they did as children.- Pablo Picasso

I like that quote. I will be 42 in May and here I am enjoying the wonderful world of Mini-Z's and dNaNo's! Nothing wrong at all with a larger track for the dNaNo's. These things are very fast and can use the room. I know I said in one of my previous post's that my track was 6x12 and I thought that was about the right size. I might double it......I might not. I do have enough mats to do so. I know that I get to the end of that 12' straight in a blink of an eye. But as you said about the steering being "extremely sensitive" it gets around the 6x12 track very well. I couldn't believe the difference the tires made. I mean that car was sticking and taking everything as fast as I could drive it. I was getting quick and smooth laps for the most part. I don't know why I am surprised by the tire difference, I should have known that with the experience I have running Z's. I think my next upgrade will be the diff and then bearings. I am sure that I will probably try a damper system, but like I said- I don't have a problem with the rear end chatter on the eva foam like I did at the HT track. I agree with the speed and how much we all like it. Who knows, I may keep it the same width and just make it a total of 24' long......I got the room!
Rooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.29, 04:00 PM   #48
Rooster29

One thing that I failed to mention or clarify about making it larger is, I mean the length, not the width. I would like to hold it a little longer on the straights and that would take - longer straights. I'm not touching the width on the 17-18 inch lanes. I feel that the width that I have in place now puts it more in touch with real road racing. You can pass, but you don't have four feet to do it with a car that is four inches long and two inches wide. I do like to have to stay on top of things while I am running it. It makes you a better driver.
Old 2010.04.29, 06:06 PM   #49
arch2b

We are of the same mind in that regard

I'm limited in space so I try to make the course as interesting as I can vs. A large donut. The expansion pack suits my needs just fine for dnano.

I do prefer the 50cm tiles for mini-zs. 30cm are good for training but not so hot for racing with more than say 3 mini-zs. You just get bunched up to often. My kids like wrecking eachother though so they don't complain.
Old 2010.04.29, 06:27 PM   #50
Rooster29

For sure the mini-96 w/ expansion set is great for home practice. It's great for a couple cars running at the same time. More than three is to crowded. So we are for sure on the same page. I sold mine a little while back and I'm kicking myself for it. I have a good size 1:43 scale slot car track in addition to what I have set up for the dNaNo. I am thinking very hard about selling the slot car stuff off and just going with a good Mini-Z track set up. I go to a really nice 1:32 slot car track in Cincy for racing as well, so I am thinking I will just save the slot racing for there. Slots are fun, especially no magnet, but I like the total driving experience of Z's & NaNo's better. So I may get a couple MR-03's (I don't have any & dying to see how those are), that F1 like you got (if it's still available when I get around to it). The only thing that I am thinking about though is I really do like that Eva Foam I am running the dNaNo's on now and I liked the z's on the rcp. The stock tires we okay on it, better than the stock tires on mini-z on the rcp track. But when I put those 10's in the front and 20's in the rear, man was it bad fast and handled.
Old 2010.04.29, 06:39 PM   #51
arch2b

I'm sure you can find a good mini-z tire choice for your foam track. I bought am mini-zs for our home track. It was a much cheaper home track only solution. I have mr-03s for club racing. I don't think the sp2 is going to sell out quickly. It's too small a niche and it's a race ready chassis with a price tag to match.
Old 2010.04.29, 07:04 PM   #52
Rooster29

Man I wish I could have club racing around here.......at least 4-6 guys. It would be so much fun. I have tried to get some slot car guys into it, even took a couple Z's to show them on race nights. I was thinking the F1 sp2 would be around a while for the reasons you mentioned. I probably could find a tire for the Eva Foam, but would like to run Z's on rcp, because I always hold out hope to go to a race somewhere and would like to practice on that since the races are held on rcp. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal???? I have ran on both so, I'm just confused or over complicating things I got the Eva Foam mats at Big Lot's, $15 for a pack of six. They are usually that much for four. I only have about $75 in that dNaNo track.
Old 2010.05.03, 10:13 PM   #53
Rooster29

962 Porsche

My wife got me an early birthday present. She got me the dNaNo 962 Kenwood Porsche . I also found out that you can traction roll the dNaNo. I tried stock on the rear and 20 degree on the front. That wasn't a good combination for the 962, or probably anything else as far as that goes. I wouldn't mind getting the Mazda Renown 787 at some point, I have always liked that car. It's gonna be time to start getting some upgrades for one car soon to see what a difference it makes. Having a blast running the three I got in the basement!
Old 2010.05.04, 10:01 AM   #54
arch2b

congrats! pictures
Old 2010.05.04, 09:09 PM   #55
Rooster29

Yeah, it was a cool gift. I took a picture and I am having problems w/ my camera and computer working together. The picture came out cool. I used a garage diorama that I made for my 1:43 slot cars. I actually put it on my work laptop as a screen saver. I will get with one of my friends to use their computer and get it posted in a day or two.
Old 2010.06.06, 08:34 PM   #56
Rooster29

dNaNo Pics Finally!

Here are a couple pictures of my dNaNo's

Old 2010.06.06, 09:06 PM   #57
arch2b

did you make the backdrop? looks great.
Old 2010.06.06, 09:33 PM   #58
Rooster29

Thanks! Yeah, I made it. It's a Diaroma made out of poster board w/ the garage graphics glued to it. I got it off of a link I found.
Old 2010.06.06, 10:19 PM   #59
lie495fc

that garage background looks very neat. good job.

perhaps the walls are too clean. would be nice to have some pictures up there.

Last edited by lie495fc; 2010.06.06 at 10:32 PM.
lie495fc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.06, 11:10 PM   #60
herman

great looking bunch...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote