Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.01.12, 10:47 AM   #16
JBVS
Mini-Z Novice

I believe this is the car that Ofna imports into the US along w/ other "Hong Nor" products. Just my 2 cents!
JBVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.12, 01:45 PM   #17
W-tone

I took a look at their website.
The "mini nitro" looks like a real quality item
Got to love those "my 1st sony" colours

W-t
W-tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.12, 04:34 PM   #18
Justin

Send a message via ICQ to Justin
Cool Mini Z vs Colt Mini

Hi All again~!

I will place a photo of the Colt as soon as I can for all who want to have a look at this car. I assure you that the Colt is exactly what I have described - faster, more stable, and way cheaper than the Kyosho Mini Z. And to answer the question of why not many people have seen this car is because it has only been released overseas in Taiwan for 3 days and I was lucky enough to order one and get one. I will get the photo does as soon as I can. For all who have never heard of Colt - the company is not a big company but goes strong in making RC car equipment which is of a higher quality and at a cheaper price than most major brands - ie; Kyosho, Tamiya, Mugen, Serpent and so forth. Their 1/10 road racer is a pure rip off of the Mugen. The replacement parts are cheap (so if you are worried about not being able to find them - buy them beforehand and you'll still save a heap of cash compared to the Kyosho), and the company has been around for quite some time except that they do not export their products to that many countries. I have been driving RC cars for at least 9 of my 18 years and ever since I started - I have heard of Colt (because I go back overseas at least once a year). For those who have any more questions - I'll try to answer them as best as I can. But in the meantime - please wait for my photo of the Colt or please email me for a photo. jchang_12@hotmail.com

Thanks.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.12, 04:53 PM   #19
Justin

Talking Here's the photos~!

Hi All again~!

as promised from before - I'm now showing off my Colt with the Mini Z beside it. I hope the photos are large enough when they show up. If not - email me for the photos - thanks. jchang_12@hotmail.com

PS - if you would like to purchase a Colt Mini Z (feel free to ask me as I can direct you to where you can purchase one if you feel the need like me after seeing it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 14.jpg (19.4 KB, 199 views)
Old 2002.01.12, 04:54 PM   #20
Justin

Colt Photo

Hi All

sorry that I forgot to mention that Colt does NOT make a F1 series for the Mini.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 15.jpg (18.3 KB, 176 views)
Old 2002.01.12, 04:55 PM   #21
Justin

Colt Photos

Carbon Fibre Chassis and Rear Plate for the Colt (left). Mini Z on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 17.jpg (21.6 KB, 172 views)
Old 2002.01.12, 04:56 PM   #22
Justin

Colt Photo

Which do you think is better - submit answer to my email or just leave a message on the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 16.jpg (20.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 2002.01.13, 05:16 AM   #23
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Better choice?

The Colt just looks wider..

Other than that, the photo's don't really show it's quality off.
Juding by the Colt 1/10's, they look like real mass production, Christmas decoration coloured entry level RC cars, not RC racers.

So, on the 1/10 stuff, I'd stick with the 'real' names in RC, like: Associated, Schumacher, Kyosho, Yokomo, HPI, Losi, Traxxas and so forth. These of course being Japanese, European and American thoroughbreds, who have a history, reputation and at least a few world championship titles behind them in electric RC.

As for comparing Colt to Mugen, well, I know Mugen IC Nitro cars, please don't insult Mugen with the outrageous comparison.

Down to the Mini, it looks good, I like the scale. I'd have to see clear photographs before judging it.
From the photo's I see, it looks functional. Sure it may be quicker, handle a little more stable, but that don't make it a Kyosho!

Justin, you are impressed with the Colt Mini and I agree it looks allright from the photos I've seen.
I'd like to see better close ups.

As for the Colt 1/10 = Mugen equivalent, erm.. please be realistic in your comparisons.

Time will tell as to whether the Colt Mini will be a success story and have the worldwide following that the Mini-Z enjoys.
Also, I wonder if there will be a website with Forums that are frequented by enthusiasts, a-la Mini-ZRacer.com? I doubt it.
We won't get into the 3rd party/aftermarket upgrades...

Enjoy your Colt Justin

Mondo
Old 2002.01.13, 05:40 AM   #24
Justin

Angry Photos for Mondo

Here you go Mondo - larger photos of the Colt. Also - my comparison of Mugen to Colt is that Colt rip off ideas. NOT performance wise in that matter for speed or stablility or what ever. The Colt Mini SR is honestly something that is of high quality for a cheap price and is still race worthy and easily beats my Kyosho Mini Z in what I have already said. Mondo - Mugen have good and bad cars as do every company. You have to give every company a fair go instead of saying that this company's products are crap because of the name. You have to see it's performance to judge the product - not just by it's name or looks. True that the Kyosho may have more attractive shells for their cars, but what do people really want? They want a product which is good, reliable and also cheap as possible and most importantly - Performs. The Mods I've done for my Colt has cost me less than buying just the X-Speed V Motor. Why pay more to have something which is of same performance or better for a cheaper price???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 18.jpg (29.7 KB, 158 views)
Old 2002.01.13, 09:36 AM   #25
yodarc
it's alive!

Gentlemen,

You guys are really going at it here! I think its pretty clean though.

I on the other hand am not going to choose sides but I would like to say something about what we Engineers call reverse engineering.

There are companies out in the world that do this all the time.
In some cases it infringes on patents and gets very messy,...most of the time it is just "shadow stealing".

When it comes to R/C cars I can give one knowledgeable example.
Neo vs Serpent.....Neo without malice and not very much forthought, copy Serpents designs and manufactures 1/10 and 1/8 cars that are pratically replicas of the original Serpent design.

I have baught, built and ran five Serpents, once for the money issue I purchased a Neo Attack 1/10 on road car. about 40% off
Serpents local prices.

It was almost a direct copy of the Serpent Impact...even with most parts being interchangeable. The quality assurance and reliability however was very evident from the start of the build...
it was off, when I say off, I mean well below Serpents.

I have built a Serpent Veteq which I would consider to be the most advanced 1/8 scale car in the world. The design engineering
by Michael Salven is shy of brilliant. The manufacturing quality is top notch. The overall quality assurance and reliability is a 10.

I want to see someone reverse engineer the VETEQ and sell it to me for 40% off Serpents...because I will buy it just to see.

In closing................and I'll bet your glad I am
To do a "replica" in reverse engineering you need the knowledgeable staff, software and manufacturing capabilities of the original designer. After this "replica" is done, you cannot sell it for 40% off...beacause it cost you a bundle to replicate.

And you find out most of the time when you look at your costs , you could have designed and manufactured your own ideas,.braught them to market and made a nice profit.

To each his own guys, nothing wrong with that! BUT..something for next to nothing=(NEVER)!!!! Regards Gentlemen,
Michael
yodarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.14, 12:40 AM   #26
Justin

Foam tires just added for the Colt

Hi All again,

I have just added some foam tires onto my car (Tamiya Slot car foam tires $5AUSD for a set of 4). The car grips heaps more better and is even more stable than before while also not compensating for speed (which is the most important thing to me)

If anyone out there has a Colt as well - and has any good setup tips - please let me know as I am still stuffing around with my car's setup to see what gives me more speed...
Old 2002.01.14, 02:45 AM   #27
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Justins pride & joy

Justin,

Just a reminder..

This is a Mini-Z forum, not a Colt-Mini forum

I think any further correspondance regarding this specific brand should be posted in the "Mini RC" Forum

Thanks

Mondo
Old 2002.01.14, 02:58 AM   #28
Justin

Come on Mondo

Mondo,

I'm bringing it up in the New Products section due to the fact that it's been released now for about 4 or 5 days. It's an option for people who might not have that much money like you and me. Like I said already - I'm still a proud owner of a Kyosho Mini Z which is also upgraded as well, but all I'm saying is - have a look - Kyosho are not the only ones who can make a decent RC car. Ask Russ or have a look at his site - he has an ABC mini (small Jap company) which did 56mph+. Yet it's not a Kyosho. Yet still cheaper as well. I'm very sorry to say that I am not in much of a mood of debating this topic with you anymore. EVERYONE is DIFFERENT. We all have our own PERSONAL preferences.

So we can keep our opinions on these posts for people to read so people can make their mind on what might be best for them. Isn't that what a forum is for Mondo?

Mondo - I have read a few of your replies in this forum and I know you know a fair bit in RC cars as well. I have been in the hobby for more than 9 years and I'm very well aware of expensive brands. But it's just like Nike and Reebok. All companies make high end and low end products. This might be Colt's first high end product (since I have driven the 1/10 colt, which wasn't too flash to tell you the true), and I have also owned a Mugen 1/10 gas with Novarossi .15 TX and honestly to say - it was not worth purchasing for the price. But for Serpent - I have to say that it is worth every cent you spend on it, because it's pushed the envelope of RC racing to the limit. All companies make refinements to their products over time and like you said yourself - Kyosho have made refinements to their cars, but doesn't that mean that the car which they have made refinements to insuperior to it's successor?

So I will no longer write to you in regards to this as I find this to be pointless - because companies are like people - they are always changing because of different situations they are in.

Cheers and I hope we can not make further arguements in future okay Mondo? Honestly to say - I'd like to make friends with you since after reading a few of your things - I know that you know a fair bit as well, so we might be able to share some ideas which might benefit both of us. Cheers~!
Old 2002.01.14, 03:25 AM   #29
herman

hey justin does that colt have a body?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.14, 03:28 AM   #30
Justin

to Herman

Yes it's got different bodies...
I've got the McLaren F1 GTR at the moment... I have two of them - one came painted with the car - the other I painted and purchased separately...

This one I painted - hope you like the paintjob. The bodies are polycarb as I mentioned before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 22.jpg (16.0 KB, 130 views)