Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.06.13, 06:35 AM   #1
ahmedriad

Build a track

Dear All,

kindly i need small help. i want to build my own track, and i am new in mini-z, i would like to know what materials do i need to have to build my own track.

not ready tracks which is very expensive to imported to EGYPT...

Regards,
Ahmed Riad
ahmedriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.14, 12:32 PM   #2
LED

short hair carpet or regupol is also used alot.
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.14, 02:43 PM   #3
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

You might find some one in Europe that has some RCP. Try TRP I think they are out of Spain not to far from Egypt. RCP is what most people run in the US.

If not I started off on commercial grade carpet at my office with masking tape borders and plastic plates turned upside down as corners.

I had alot of fun with several friends this way just using box stock mini-z's out of the box!

The sky is the limit! I would imagine you in Egypt you have alot of concrete and marble surfaces. With the right tyre combinations you could run on these surfaces with out to much trouble.

Have fun!
Old 2010.06.14, 03:22 PM   #4
LED

Problem with that is that RCP costs twice as much here in europe then in the US
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.01, 05:18 AM   #5
wildthing
RC addict

you might want to consider EVA foam.

There are several grades of these ranging from soft to hard foams. The hard foams are best... then you can add the "rough texture" by sanding it with a rough sand paper.

I also have made me track using MDF (medium density fiber) boards painted with a flat wall enamel paint (sold at a local ACE Hardware). The good part with this is that you can make it look like a real looking race track.

The bad part is that the surface is not as rough and you will need to adjust suspension and match the tires so that the car will not spin out.

I am condering the use of rubber paint also ... but that would be a new project... someday.
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.15, 07:26 PM   #6
deloreanaka8

Send a message via MSN to deloreanaka8
Hi there, I left you a PM.
Check it out, might help you.
Old 2010.07.15, 10:23 PM   #7
jlieu

Interested in see what you come up with Ahmed. I've been thinking about making my own track soon as well. More ideas and tips would be great...lots of ppl seem to be stuck on the RCP tracks these days.
jlieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.16, 10:00 AM   #8
HaCo
02-Racer

Have you considered using chalk board paint like they use for slotcar tracks? I really like the concept of a wooden track.
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.16, 10:17 AM   #9
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

You might try using "sheetrock" panels. Easy to work with sizes. Paintable. Easy blending of seams. Cheap. And with a little bit of talent an carpentry skills you could build a framework for shaping the surface into hills and banked turns or whatever else you want to do. Not very portable though.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.16, 01:47 PM   #10
jlieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaCo View Post
Have you considered using chalk board paint like they use for slotcar tracks? I really like the concept of a wooden track.
That is what I'm considering. Thinking of purchasing 4 pieces of those 4' x 8' plywood and set it up together for a 8' x 16' size track based on/inspired by the Tsukuba Circuit (seems likely that it will have to be a bit longer).

I was considering using that 'tar paper'/'roofing paper' or chalkboard paint; however, I have not been able to find anyone (in the past on here) that commented the effects either had on the tires long-term lifespan and traction. I'm guessing the tar paper may be more rough on the tires while providing more traction...and vice versa for the chalkboard paint.

Due to the size of this track, I'd like to be able to 'separate' the four pieces when I'm done so it'll be easier to put up. However, I have not quite figured out a way to do this seamlessly though. I've considered some hinges (on the underside) so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
You might try using "sheetrock" panels. Easy to work with sizes. Paintable. Easy blending of seams. Cheap. And with a little bit of talent an carpentry skills you could build a framework for shaping the surface into hills and banked turns or whatever else you want to do. Not very portable though.
Hi mleemor60, I never thought of using 'sheetrock' panel nor have any experience in it, lol. Would you happen to have any photos of tracks made from it?

May consider it as well. Thanks.
Old 2010.07.16, 01:57 PM   #11
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I have never done anything with this medium. If I had a large space to set something up permanently I would condider using sheetrock as a base. You could build nearly a perfect parabolic banking with it. If you dampen it it becomes quite pliable within reason and when it dries out it will hold the shape. For a surface I would consider using a driveway sealer. Some of it has grit in it for traction. As it wears away it can be re applied. After all is said and done though it is very difficult to beat RCP.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.16, 02:37 PM   #12
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

use mdf and bedliner by herculite... this will most represent ashpault without all the bumps... you can run the tires that comes with the bodies...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.16, 03:01 PM   #13
mikedw

I've had a tar paper (roofing paper) track and wouldn't recommend it. Every bit of dust, hair, and Cheetos that fell on it would stick. I had to wash the track once a week with hot water to get it sticky again. It smelled bad and would bubble on hot days. The only good thing was that you can use the box stock tires because as the layer of tar builds up on them they stick better.
mikedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.17, 11:39 AM   #14
jlieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorWKR View Post
use mdf and bedliner by herculite... this will most represent ashpault without all the bumps... you can run the tires that comes with the bodies...
Hey Junior, where can you get Herculite bedliner at?
Old 2010.07.19, 02:58 AM   #15
herman

wow tar paper... i haven't heard that since... 2002... dang has it been that long??? actually the track that i used to race on was made from tar paper...

connecticut speedway (circa 2002)

traction was so so... i guess because it got covered with dust... but it was pretty cool just the same...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote