Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.10.08, 12:25 PM   #1
TPDazzle

Soldering Brushless motor wires

I am totally new to brushless. I just got a PN 5500 v2 motor. I understand that there are 3 wires and which one goes where.

My question is: Do I solder them to the 3 little u-shaped bracket on the side of the can? It is mostly green chip-board material and it doesn't look like there is much metal there. Do I have to take the end bell off? That doesn't seem right. Seems like a stupid question, but I thought I'd better ask before I screw it up.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.10.08, 02:20 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
You solder to the 3 tabs on the PCB. Don't take the endbell off.

Just be sure that the solder doesn't bridge the tabs. Tin the tabs lightly, with good tin on the wire.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181008-151850_Gallery-600x1067.jpg (168.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 2018.10.08, 03:44 PM   #3
SuperFly
bitPimp

What EMU said. Here's another picture for reference:

One thing to remember: you might get better results and a more organized rear end if you don't make all your wires the same length. See my pic for example of what I mean.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2018.10.08 at 03:46 PM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.10.08, 03:47 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Looking at your pic, I should clean up my soldering a little

On VE Pro boards, I reuse their wires and just cut off the bullet connectors. On the standard VE with rainbow wires I swap out the wires entirely. The plastic used for the rainbow wires is stiff.

Last edited by EMU; 2018.10.08 at 03:49 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.10.08, 05:36 PM   #5
TPDazzle

Thanks guys,! That's what I needed and what I would have done if left to my own devices. Thank you! Superfly, that looks exactly like my motor. I do have a VE pro board. I am planning on cutting off the bullet connectors. Thanks for the tip on the wire lengths, I would have kept them the same length.
Old 2018.10.08, 05:59 PM   #6
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPDazzle View Post
Thanks guys,! That's what I needed and what I would have done if left to my own devices. Thank you! Superfly, that looks exactly like my motor. I do have a VE pro board. I am planning on cutting off the bullet connectors. Thanks for the tip on the wire lengths, I would have kept them the same length.
I went through the trouble of ordering fancy micro 2mm bullet connectors and did a full set of color-coded, heat-shrinked wires exactly the same as stock. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much I hate that bundle of wires I have to zip-tie to the motor mount in a stock setup, and opted for a much more minimal setup. It's fine because once I put a motor in a car, I rarely change it out. I just couldn't see the reason to have that much wire back there. Just be sure to have your disc damper in place as you plan and measure your wires. I got some 22 ga. really soft silicone wire, and tried to sculpt a wire path that was as short as possible without interfering with the damper or otherwise stressing or binding the suspension.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2018.10.08 at 06:02 PM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.08.20, 11:04 PM   #7
TPDazzle

Alright guys, new motor, new problem. I just got a PN 3500 stock motor to my brushless car HFAY legal with the motor rule changes. I disconnected my 5500 one wire at a time and soldered on the new motor, and it runs backwards! I double checked the VEpro board, and everything matches up. I tried removing all the solder with some solder braid in case I bridged a tab, and then I resoldered it after triple checking that the motor matches the board, and it still runs backwards. I reversed the throttle on my EX6r radio and it runs forward, but goes slow and runs in reverse much faster, so that didn't work out. Any ideas about what I screwed up?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tCAi6DekeUxnDAVb6e Also, I seem to struggle with getting my photos to appear in my message, is their a tutorial on that somewhere? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by TPDazzle; 2019.08.20 at 11:11 PM.
Old 2019.08.21, 12:28 AM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

Swap any two wires and the motor will reverse direction. The PN motor naturally rotates the opposite direction. Many will swap A and C, but A B or B C work the same.

As for hot linking images, place brackets around IMG before the link, and brackets around /IMG after, so it would look like (img) link(/img) with brackets instead of parentheses. If I would have written with brackets, it would be hidden.

The other option is to upload the image directly to the forum, which is how I do it. Then hot link to embed it into the post where I want it to be.

Last edited by EMU; 2019.08.21 at 12:32 AM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote