Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.11.30, 01:24 PM   #1
Sinister_Y

AWD class for Mini-Z Cup

As per Kyoshosan's blog (and the original source of his information for that post: http://ameblo.jp/kyoshoblog/ )

AWD Rally class will be introduced by Kyosho for their cup series. From the translation it seems you must run narrow all the way around, even if your body came with wide rears and you must you 60 deg tires all the way around (MZW2-60).

Interesting concept. I had proposed a rally class at MC3. Maybe these tires will make things more interesting...
Sinister_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.30, 01:33 PM   #2
Felix2010

Wow 60 degree slicks? Do they even make 60 deg treaded? Isn't that harder than the old stock tires that came with the older Autoscales?
Old 2012.12.01, 04:22 AM   #3
HaCo
02-Racer

Definitely looks like a good, no awesome, idea!

Will test this on RCP, have allready run on ASC tires in the past on my AWD.
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.01, 06:31 AM   #4
Felix2010

I know you've been around Mini-Z for a while HaCo, so no disrespect meant - But 60 degree tires?

I've tried newer ASC tires on my MR's (On RCP) and the last couple/few years' worth of ASC's and Readysets from what I've purchased came with what seem like W30 and N40, which is definitely not too bad on RCP...
But on the older ASC's, like 5,6,7 years ago - Didn't Kyosho use the crappiest tires they could to sell with the ASC's? And by that I mean very, very hard tires(And slick of course)... I'm thinking the old-ASC tires might've been 50's and not even 60 deg tires... I know Rally AWD means some drifting, but how do you get Narrow 60 deg slicks to get any more traction without soaking the bejeesus outta them in WD40 or similar traction enhancing compound(Which are usually illegal I think); Or maybe truing them and then using heat on them at the start would give some initial traction maybe I guess... 60 degree tires justs sounds like no fun to me, unless you want to call it "Drift Class" .

Just my opinion, which is pretty insignificant now that I'm thinking... Nevermind, I'm probably wrong.
Old 2012.12.01, 06:49 AM   #5
color01

Based on a few experiments, an AWD with cut-down 50deg slicks all around can actually grip alright. It does drift of course but at the same time, since you're always on the gas it's deceptively quick. Again, not that it IS quick, but it's quicker than you might think.

Kyosho's tire compounds have changed a bit in 10 years anyways, the new 60's might be better than the old 50's. And if they're still rock hard, groove 'em on the truer.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.01, 06:56 AM   #6
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Any rule or class that can teach or promote throttle control isn't a bad thing. The lesson carries over to the other classes and can improve your performance there.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.01, 08:17 AM   #7
Felix2010

Both your points are valid color0 and mleemor60. A.) New K 60deg might be a lot better than older K 60deg; B.) And throttle control is VERY important, I agree totally. One of the most difficult things to learn and gain skill at IMHO. Using harder tires would promote much better throttle control which can be used to make advances in skill in other classes of racing.
Old 2012.12.01, 01:08 PM   #8
Pierro

Hi!

Definitely interresting challenge there. AWD with rally bodies and rally style driving would be so much fun.

I personnally ride my celica either with drift tires or the tires that came with the body. On rough side of RCP, pretty decent grip but still a bit of a slide so you can go fast but not THAT fast at the same time.

Also, running hard tires solve the problem of traction rolling the AWD tends to have when you push it to the limits.
Pierro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.01, 05:03 PM   #9
DanDan

Where can I find info on the Mini-Z Cup?

Are there any US dates established yet?

Last edited by DanDan; 2012.12.01 at 05:07 PM.
DanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.02, 02:25 AM   #10
HaCo
02-Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierro View Post
Hi!

Definitely interresting challenge there. AWD with rally bodies and rally style driving would be so much fun.

I personnally ride my celica either with drift tires or the tires that came with the body. On rough side of RCP, pretty decent grip but still a bit of a slide so you can go fast but not THAT fast at the same time.

Also, running hard tires solve the problem of traction rolling the AWD tends to have when you push it to the limits.
Well, I also got the celica (wide tires in the rear) and also ran it on RCP with original tire. I found it went well, not too much wheelspin.

Yesterday I've been testing with harder tires that I found in 'old stuff'-boxes. The biggest problem was finding 2 pairs with the same amount of grip. But it was working, even on my narrow RCP track.

I guess the guys from Kyosho tested the setup before releasing new rules.

I started RC on parking lots and the street: dirty roads with out of the box (tamiya rally block) tires. My first idea when I read about the new rules was to get more or less the same experience as back then , but now with my AWD, just to explain the excitement. :-)

So: I want a new set of tires to test this asap!
Old 2012.12.02, 05:43 AM   #11
Pierro

You definitely need to come more often at the club Haco.
I'm also looking for other way of racing than the almighty hot lap.
Pierro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.15, 08:08 AM   #12
HaCo
02-Racer

Just received a set of 60degree slick tires. They are bone hard, the hardest rubber tire I have. Hope to test them this evening!
Old 2012.12.15, 05:02 PM   #13
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Where can I find info on the Mini-Z Cup?

Are there any US dates established yet?
Kyosho Mini-Z Cup has not run in the U.S. in MANY years. There was rumor kyosho USA was trying to bring it back but it's not developed and it's been several years since that effort started.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.16, 02:48 AM   #14
HaCo
02-Racer

Had a testrun yesterday: great fun!

SteveDb made a video of Pierro and me:
f******k link removed
The focus has the 60degrees tires on. It could b?e great rally cross fun with Mini-Z, hope to see such series in near future in Belgium!

Last edited by mleemor60; 2015.07.25 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2012.12.16, 06:08 AM   #15
color01

Looks good! Wish it'd be viable over here.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote